Should I buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.

olsalt

Nov 20, 2009
Oday 222 Oneida Lake in Upstate NY
Jerd, Maybe I was a wee bit hasty, advising you to rush over and throw money at that boat..... From your comments since, perhaps you would be better starting with a vessl that is a little better condition, just so you can get out and get sailing without restoring an old POS first.

Summer isn't even close and as the weather warms there will be lots of boats for sale in better condition. I now advise caution, don't be hasty, go looking & talking to sellers until the right one is located. You may have to kiss a few frogs.

Dec 19, 2010
Hunter 33 New Orleans, LA
@jerdsneker I have different suggestions for the "to buy" or "not to buy." First, you can buy a boat and not know anything about sailing and learn how to sail. I did this with no regrets and it has been one of the funnest hobbies ever. Learning to do the work on a boat like what is in your picture, that is where the tough part comes in. For example, rigging, wiring, painting, maintenance... etc. Good news is, you have resources! Man you would NOT believe the help available from all the experienced sailors right here on the net. Try the forums over at sailnet and also right here too. Then you could also pickup some books, try amazon, I found several there including a don casey sailboat maintenance book that looked really good. Last, head over to youtube watch the several sailing videos up there. Don't forget sailingtexas.com ,they also have some good how to sail videos.

Now to sum it up, if you are really eager to sail, it could be a better idea to get a boat in better condition. If you want to be patient and wait a bit, you could get this one and fix it up while you read about sailing. Then you will also learn about boat maintenance as well. So it has its ups and downs. In the end, if you think you will like sailing then chances are you will. I am also a kayaker as you and got right into sailing. I've been having my little yacht since early last year and loving her since. I never even knew how to setup a headsail last year at this time. Heck I barley knew how to raise the mainsail. Now, I can tell you what every rigging line is, name a sailboat's hardware, how to tack, how to trim, the different points of sail, plus I am currently teaching a friend how to sail on his new to him Macgregor 21 :) He bought his boat for only $950 ready to sail with trailer, new paint and oh, a whopping 5 sails! Good deals are definitely out there. Good luck with your decision

Aug 7, 2010
Catalina 22 Stockton Lake, Missouri
This reads like a remake of me. I bought my first boat a little over a year ago with a couple hours sailing experience...30+ years ago!! You also sound like me in that I collect hobbies.

That boat is going to be more stable than my first, a Chrysler Buccaneer, (man I liked that boat and it was FAST...but terribly uncomfortable for my disabled wife). I never tipped it or even came close and I didn't know what I was doing! However, let me temper that by saying I was very conservative in the conditions I sailed and that all my sailing is on inland lakes in the mid-west. Nothing compared to coastal waters I'm certain. I've learned to sail largely out of books, off sites such as this one and by just getting on the water in my boat. As I'm a little longer in tooth than you, (my cihldren are 35 and 37...not 3!!!!), I take pains not to get in over my head....literally. I now have a Cat. 22 for the wife and I and friends and an O'Day Widgeon for quick fun on the small lakes close to me. You can do it and as a self described "renaissance man" you'll no doubt soak up information like a sponge. Should you? Beats me. There's nothing cheap about a boat, count on that. Sailing, as with anything, takes time and a lot of it to do well. I'm still such a rookie that I probably shouldn't even be posting..but man did I learn a TON the first year. The 3-day ASA course is upcoming this year.

Were it me I'd do it....heck, I did!!! As others suggested paint the bottom, learn to sail and don't get caught up in keeping up with the Jones's. You don't need all the bells and whistles to learn and have a great time. A good cleaning will probably add a lot to the price and with care you can probably sell it later for more than you have in it and either purchase a boat more to your liking. That's what I did with the 'Bucc. Or, you can get out of it if sailing doesn't trip your trigger.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Joe,The Gemini is a bit narrow, I'd prefer a Javelin too now that you mention it! The Javelin also has a 49# steel CB.... that ought to provide a bit of stability.
I do like the Gem, but I wonder (despite what CCSB claims?) how it is dealing with 2 CBs? She is a very pretty design, but in truth I was a bit disappointed after seeing a pic of the inside, I'd need to add floorboards to keep my gear dry. Not much boat for the price (new).

Back to the original post.... a keel MARINER can be a good boat to start with (CB model isn't bad either!) but without actually seeing the boat........ I can't really comment on the Yes/NO question about whether this boat is worth buying. For one thing, what would be worth it for me to buy (I enjoy a bit of a "project" if I can save $$) may not be worth it for someone else, especially someone new to sailing (and boat repair?).
I've added a few reference pics for those unfamiliar with the Gemini

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Joe,The Gemini is a bit narrow, I'd prefer a Javelin too now that you mention it! The Javelin also has a 49# steel CB.... that ought to provide a bit of stability.
I do like the Gem, but I wonder (despite what CCSB claims?) how it is dealing with 2 CBs? She is a very pretty design, but in truth I was a bit disappointed after seeing a pic of the inside, I'd need to add floorboards to keep my gear dry. Not much boat for the price (new).

Back to the original post.... a keel MARINER can be a good boat to start with (CB model isn't bad either!) but without actually seeing the boat........ I can't really comment on the Yes/NO question about whether this boat is worth buying. For one thing, what would be worth it for me to buy (I enjoy a bit of a "project" if I can save $$) may not be worth it for someone else, especially someone new to sailing (and boat repair?).
I've added a few reference pics for those unfamiliar with the Gemini
If I still had that Gemini today, that boat would be in my yard sitting under a cover in the summertime and I'd be riding a motorcycle again instead of sailing. Words can never express the hate and disappointment I felt for that boat after I sailed it. Especially after it capsized on me out on the lake. A daysailor of this size that can't be righted after a capsize, isn't much of a daysailor. With no flotation in the stern, it was useless to even try to right this particular boat. I'm aware of the fact that my boat is equivalent to a daysailor and yes, if she were to capsize, she could go to the bottom if my cabin hatches were wide open.
As for the Mariner; I have always loved that boat from the first time I saw one in Marion Harbor as some Dad was boarding her at the dock with his two little boys many years ago. It was the new Mariner 2+2 and I was green with envy. Little did I know that a few short years later I would be the proud owner a new 1986 O'Day 222. I've never sailed a Mariner but two of my friends have owned and sailed them. I have sailed a Bristol 19 keel sloop with a small cabin and I can say with all honesty that if I had a choice between the Bristol and Mariner keel sloop, I'd choose the Bristol without blinking an eye. I would even go as far as to say that the Bristol 19 sails even better and faster than my O'Day 222. We have about four different size Bristol sloops in our club and I like them all.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.