Should I buy a '69 Mariner 2+2

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Humnicky

Needs alot of TLC. Seems to be sound. How do they handle? Have 3 children between 11&8 yrs. old , the wife and myself. Will we all fit for the day?

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Do you have someone who can help you assess it?

Generally, the Mariner (and Rhodes 19, built on the same hullform) is a great boat for family daysailing, and for a couple to weekend on. They're safe, stable, handle easily, and unless someone has removed the flotation foam, unsinkable. The quality of this particular boat is hard to judge without more information. When you say it need TLC, what does it need? How is the glasswork? Rigging? Sails? Blades? Hardware? If you are unfamiliar with assessing boats, it might be wise to drag a friend along. Where are you located? Maybe someone from the site could help you out? Justin - O'day Owner's Web

S

Steve

"I like Mine"!!!!!!!!!

John, I have a l977 Mariner 2&2 and I just love it. I believe the design changed somewhat between the years, so I can't say for sure that we are comparing apples to apples. The large cockpit makes it perfect for daysailing and taking people out. The cabin is cramped somewhat, but it does hold the port-a-potty , need I say more!!! The seaworthiness is like a tank. I grew up sailing smaller daysailers and just the weight of the centerboard and ballast in the Mariner gives you a nice sense of security, compared to the other smaller boats. I sail mine off the trailer and it is quite easy to set up and launch. One point of concern that I found out about my boat was this. My boat sat with water in it for several years before I purchased it(due to a damaged hatch cover) The wood backing for my lower rudder pin bracket was completely rotten. It took alot of effort to get in there and replace it, but I'm glad I discovered it before finding out about it on the water. Let us know if you decided to purchase!!!

J

Jack

Should I Buy a Mariner 2 x 2

I have a Mariner 2 x 2 that I trailer. I'm struggling with stepping the mast. Does Seve of Sister Bay have any suggestions?? Good family boat!

S

Steve

response to Jack

Hey a fellow Wisconsinite!!!!!! What kind of problems are you having stepping your mast? I assume you have the "twin tabernacle pin" system so it operates like a hinge. I did have some difficulty in attaching the forestay to the bow fitting once the mast was up. I couldn't seem to get that last 1/4 of an inch to pop the pin through. Heres what I do now: Make sure the jib halyard is securely cleated to the mast.(wire end) Then once the mast is up and both pins are in place, and while a helper is is keeping tension on the forestay , I make a bowline knot in the rope portion of the jib halyard (as far up as I can reach) Then I unhook the boat from the trailer and hook it to the jib halyard.(through the bowline knot) Very gentlty, I use the wench to bring the mast forward enough to attach the forestay . Bingo it works everytime!!!!! A regular check of your halyard and pulley, and pulley fitting is very important. Do you do most of you sailing on Lake Geneva, or do you trailer it else where? I know that Lake Geneva can get very busy and over crowded in peak season.

A

Andy

Do it!!!

I love mine. I have three kids (8,6,4) and with the big cockpit and cabin I think it is a great family boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.