Should I buy a 336?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Peters

I am considering a 1995 336, loaded, in good-to-excellent condition at 78,000. Next step is a sea trial next weekend. After a lot of looking at mid-size, affordable used boats, this one is clearly at top of list. BUT, I read and hear a lot about the lightness or tenderness of Hunters as well as some penny pinching on some materials and equipment. I have been sailing club boats for a few years; from 26 up to a Cal 39. The coming sea trial will be first time on a Hunter. Although the Owner Reviews at this site are 90% positive about the Hunter 336, can anyone reply concerning my 2 concerns. Most of my sailing will be coastal, up and down New England Coast. thank you. Bob

P

Paul Bednarzyk

Bob, as a former owner of a 336, I think you will be happy with the boat. I did not feel that the boat was "tippy" at all. The components used are all name brand products, Lewmar, Harken, Bowmar, etc. Depending on how the boat is equipped, 78k seems a little steep. Overall I was very pleased with the boat. We traded it in on new 380 because we wanted the extra space and comfort. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

E

edward almeyda- wclaw@bellsouth.net

yes buy a 336

i own a 336 which i a super boat. i have soloed from dry tortugas to miami with an autohelm 400 auto pilot and the only problem i had was staying awake. i installed a mack pack main sail control that is also super and a windlass, refrigerator, ac, and built a radar arch for two solar panels that keep the batteries topped off the boat sails very well in winds up to 20 knots without a reef the reliability of the systems has been good except for the tank indicators, which are not so important definitely get the boat

T

Tom Ressler s/v Blowdacious

My 336

I have a 96 H336 and have had zero problems with it except the tank indicators. The original holding tank indicator was never connected by the factory. When I tried to connect it, I found the sender and gauge were not compatible. The factory sent a new gauge (wrong!) and then sent a new sender (right!). I returned the extra gauge. I changed the sender (which required enlarging the hole in the top of the tank and everything worked for about a year. It is now non-functional once again. Not a big item, but annoying. Since the boat is now 3 yrs old, I'm not going to ask Hunter to do anything about it. I'll just fix it when I find a gauge I think is better. Otherwise, I've been totally satisfied with the boat. Any other problems I've had have been of my own doing and not Hunter's. Most of my sailing is on the Columbia River with its heavy current and the boat is often moving upstream when nobody else is (light air). My wife and I recently completed a 200 nm round trip to Astoria from Portland and enjoyed every bit of it. We averaged a SOG of about 8k downstream and about 6k upstream. About half the distance under sail. Buy the boat, you'll like it.

P

Pete Clerkin

you won't be sorry

We also have a 336 that we sail in the New England area and find the boat great you won't be sorry if you buy it. I havn't found any problems with poor workmanship or quality in my boat. the tank gauges that everone else mentioned are a problem but minor. boat sails great and very comfortable to spend time on. This is a coastal cruiser not a trans-atlantic passage maker and the fit and quality all come in prespective,dollar for dollar a lot of boat for the money!

L

Leon Maraist

Buy it!!

I bought my 95 336 (Lagniappe)new (a demo) from Cape Water Sports on Cape Code and have been very satisified. It was my first purchase of a boat this size. I sailed many enjoyable times through Woods Hole and to the islands (Martha Vin. & Nantuck.) I now live in Florida and it does well here also. My biggest problem came with lowering and raising the sail and I solved this by installing a $1000.00 "stronge sailing system" a track in the mast that allows the sale to drop in a second and raise with ease. I think you could probably do a little better on the pricing.

B

Bob Knott

Who installed the stong track

Leon, I bought my 99 H380 from Cape Yacht Sales also and am loving the boat, but was wondering who installed the strong track into your mast. Did you have it done at MacDougall's marine on cape Cod or in FLA? Thanks Bob Knott

L

Leon Maraist

Strong Track

Bob, Did David sell you your boat. I actually purchased three from him over the years first a Lazer, then a Capri 16.5 then my 336. Anyway, I bought the Strong track system from Fla Rigging out of West Palm Beach and installed it myself. Was not too difficult (yet tricky) as the track comes in a roll that inserts into the grove of the Mast and you push it up until you reach the top. It is a chore to get it started but once you bend in sufficiently it does push right up. Fla rigging gave me some kind of lubicant that I applied to the track which helped a lot. It somes with a set of bat cars with new batten sockets that allow the sail to slide up and down effortlessly. It is the best investment I made on the boat and is a lot better and faster then any mail furling system I have used on my bareboat charters. We miss New Enland and buzzard's bay sailing. Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.