short shaft motor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

Just got a 1989 Oday 192. I have a short shaft motor from my previous boat. I need a long shaft motor. Anyone ever come up with a way to use a short shaft motor on a boat that needs a long shaft without taking the motor mount off and rebolting it in a lower spot. My mount does swing down but not enough.

M

Mike

Thats what i did

I have a catalina 22, and I had the same problem. the previous owners had a long shaft motor, I had a excellent 7.5 HP 15" shaft and I just couldn't justify the purchasing of a 20" shaft outboard. So, I re-drilled the four holes for the motor mount a few inches below the existing holes. i filled the old holes with epoxy. It works fine, I spend most of my time sailing, using the motor in to get in and out of the lagoon, but for hte most part, I have never really had a problem with the motor getting swamped or anything.

D

Dana Barlow,C

swings down but not enough

It was designed to stop at a point on the down wing,but on some designs,it's a pin stop or a slot and bolt. You may take and move pin ,or take bolt out,to adjust more down? Look at what is stopping it? or; Some OB repair shop have many dead OB's for parts,may find long shaft,and add your power head!

J

John Dawson

Extension

Some motors can be converted to long shaft with an extra section, my Johnson 9.9 was.

Status
Not open for further replies.