Shore Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

george

The thought has come to me that a small microwave would be nice to have onboard. I figure that I can surely fix a meal with it and avoid the cost of eating at the fine and expensive restaurants in the marinas. I can't quite figure the best location or the smallest micro available. My wife is some what claustrophobic so I have to give some thought so she would not feel that the walls closing in. Also there is the shore power problem. I have yet to see a C22 with shore power connections. I sure that there out there. Where is the best location for the connector, circuit breakers, charger or panel? Is there some reason not to do this? Again any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

R

Rico

modification for shore power

The installation I use on my C-22 is relatively simple to set up, use, and maintain. It did require a few holes to be cut. The first hole cut was in the backrest of the aft dinette settee. It results in a large rectangular door, hinged at the bottom. It follows the contour of the backrest panel, leaving about a 3 or 3 1/2 inch border all around. A door in this panel provides open access to the cavernous port lazarette from within the cabin, which is useful for all sorts of things. I have a shelf just inside the door on which two battery chargers sit, one for each bank. They can be clipped to the battery terminals for charging. The batteries are housed on a platform directly accessible by lifting the cover on the step just below the companionway door, and are hooked to a dual bank house switch, installed beside the keel winch crank. The switch feeds a six switch fused panel, locted on the face of the side of the aft dinette settee. When the settee hold cover is removed, there is plenty of room to replace fuses, mend, or otherwise work on the panel without having to unmount it. All these areas are volumous and offer plenty of room with which to work. Wore can be lead easily between these compartments. I keep two extension cords coiled up in the port lazarette, one for shore power and one for standard outlets. To be placed in use they are run out through the rear cowel vent. When hooked to shore power I use a multi outlet strip to run things like the blender, vaccuum, etc. When away I theoretically could use my voltage inverter, but have yet to do so. An inverter is best suited for short bursts and a microwave might be too much. I also spliced a direct line for a 12v socket for a spotlight and cell phone. I have no advice from experience as far as a microwave goes. I am inclined to suggest that one could be somehow worked into the sliding galley set-up, particularly if you wanted to do away with the stove. Bon Apetite -- Rico

Status
Not open for further replies.