Shopping for a longshaft outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2012
MacGregor 25 Dana Point, CA
Any suggestions on what makes and model years hold there value the best? I'm looking for a 7-10HP and I expect to take good care of this motor and resell it in the next 5 years. I'm primarily looking for resale value tips, but any tips on evaluating a used motor would be great as well.

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
the dealer who sold me my susuki left it full of gaz on the show room, susuki canada is a compagny that only want your money and the local dealer is the same way . i fixed the engine myself and now it is running like a charm, i would not buy another susuki. what ever you buy, make sure there is a dealer close in your area that will take care of you.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
Tohatsu

Best price I got on a tohatsu outboard was at ( port a boat) on line. Get the best price then call and ask for their very best price. I paid $100 or more less here.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Re: Tohatsu

Had my 8hp nissan 2 stroke since 1991...Very little maintenence. Get the right size prop for dingy size and typical load..Runs like a banshee!!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
My Tohatsu 18 hp 2 stroke has been great. Paid $600 for it. The PO only used it once and kept it in the garage.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Tohatsu makes Nissan and Mercury. Get a Tohatsu if buying new. Try and find a Mercury if buying used, because even though they're the same motor, they seem to command a little more respect when you go to sell it on Craigslist.

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
Tohatsu makes all Nissan, Mercury less than 30HP and Evinrude less than 15 HP. Idential motors, different stickers. So purchase the cheapest one (usually Tohatsu) or go with whatever dealer is located closest to you.

I have a Tohatsu 6HP Sail-Pro. Starts easy, runs good. The Sail-Pro is nice because they have an extra long shaft so the prop won't come out of the water if it gets choppy.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Nissan and Tohatsu (same exact motor - different name and colors) are the lightest of all the 4 strokes and so sailors like that. Yamaha and Honda probably have the best reputation and best resale - even though heavier, but they all work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.