Sherwood sea. Water pump problem

Mar 9, 2017
Catalina 30 Ashtabula, Ohio
I am trying to change my impeller and cannot line up the little key and the impeller. New style pump 1990 Catalina30 TRBS. I cannot keep the little key in the groove as I push the impeller on. It keeps sliding back. I tried a little grease to hold it to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Please post Sherwood water pump model. Do you have a parts diagram and a manual?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
For that impractical design and leaking seals, most have replaced the pump with Oberdorfer. The impeller is replaced from the front.
Visit Sail La Vie | 1999 Catalina 36 MK II
Your other choice is to remove the pump and install the impeller.

Mar 9, 2017
Thanks sail stay. I am going to the boat tomorrow and will get back with the model number. I do not have any schematics or manuals.

Mar 9, 2017
No, I am talking about the little key in the shape of a half moon that sits on the shaft . It engages with the groove on the impeller to make it spin.I think it is called a woodruf ? ,

OpaD

Jul 2, 2018
Catalina 27-T 6642 Shreveport Yacht Club
Try a small drop of Lock-Tite (the kind that doesn't set up permanently) in the keyway and see if that will hold the little Woodruff key in place while you slide the new impeller on the shaft and over the key.

Mar 9, 2017
Great idea OpaD. I was finally able to slip it on with the help of a friend. I ran the engine, does not pump at low rpm but pumps great at high rpm. Go figure.

OpaD

Jul 2, 2018
Catalina 27-T 6642 Shreveport Yacht Club
Glad to help.
Surprised it doesn't pump at low RPM, though. Couple of things you may want to check..
1. Sea water strainer could be partially clogged (it's easy to clean/replace)
2. A piece of an old impeller blade stuck in a hose or the heat exchanger, impeding flow.

Mar 9, 2017
Sea water strainer clean, heat exchanger spotless" just cleaned it" and the old impeller WA in perfect shape when I removed it. The boat is now on the hard so I have to wait for next season. Keep thinking OpaD. Thanks