Sheet and Halyard Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurley

Feb 20, 2007
- - Atlanta, GA
I recently purchased a 1994 Catalina 22 that had been sitting in dry storage for approximately 1 1/2 years. The running rigging is not in the best shape and I was looking to start replacing it a little bit at a time. I thought this would be simple matter of going to the store or online and purchasing a certain diameter. However, the variety of types and sizes (and manufacturers) has me totally confused. Ultimately I will be changing all running rigging but for now I am concentrating on the roller furling line, genoa halyard and sheets. Looking at the manual for the roller furling I have, the halyard should be 1/4" and the furling line is either 5/32" or 3/16". I am not sure on the size of the sheets (boat is 6 hours away). Any advice on brand, type and size would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone knows of a good reference source for this topic please let me know. Thanks again!

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Jib sheets

I like 5/16" jib sheets myself, but you'll find everyone is different. You can look in the Chandlery here for halyard/sheet replacement, a couple more APS and LayLine. Any of the three will work with you.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Try the C22 Association website

they'll give the sizes and lengths in the C22 manual. If you're leading lines back, you'll need longer lines. Ask them, they'll know lengths and materials.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Manual

The manual is a good starting placce. Unfortunately the online manual website doesn't have the last page where the rigging lengths are placed. The Genoa Sheet is listed as 3/8" Dacron at 55 ft. Something to consider that the thickness of the line and therefore the weight per foot affects the set of the jib in lighter air and it needs to fit your genny/jib cleats. Mine are jam leats and there is a certain range of thickness that they will work with. Sorry that I can't help with the roller furling line because I don't have one. I'm sure that the dimension is set to a certain amount to roll up the genny and then the distance from the bow to the cockpit cleat. Maybe the roller furling company can help on that one. The jib halyard is listed as 63' but best to make it 65'. Same goes for the main halyard. listed as 60' but I'd go with 62' or 63' just in case. I am using 1/4" Yale Crystaline for my halyards that I got a deal on and they seems to work real well.

Hurley

Feb 20, 2007
- - Atlanta, GA
Thanks

Thanks to all who replied! This will get me going in the right direction. I am still a little confused on all the different brands and types of cordage thats available but I guess I need to stop being lazy and do a little research. Thanks again!

May 27, 2006
Catalina 22 Ypsilanti, MI
C-22 halyards n' stuff

After you get your sizes /lenghts figured out, DO call west marine technical assistance for rigging and ask for their online/catalog sale items , I always get great deals - better than in the stores.

Nov 14, 2006
Hunter 27 Lake Lanier, GA
Call Layline

Call Layline, they have a store in Buford, GA and are big supporters of Catalina Fleets 58 and 258.

Status
Not open for further replies.