Shaft Shark Experience and Opinions and Confirming Diameter of Catalina 310 prop shaft

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
After a summer of dodging loose crab pots and fouling my prop twice (and tired of swimming to clear it) I am planning to order and install a shaft cutter this winter after haul out. I have two questions. First, does anyone have any experience or opinion on the Shaft Shark? It seems much simpler and easier to install than the competing Spurs system. The Shaft Shark just has two pieces that bolt together around the shaft.

Also, am I correct that the Catalina 310 has a 1 inch diameter prop shaft? Mine is the 2002 model with the Universal M25 XPB engine.

Thanks in advance!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
My C-310, sail no 307, was built in 2005. It has a one inch diameter shaft.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I installed a Shaft Shark after a season when we pickup fishing line and lost docking lines in our prop that stopped us dead in the water several times.

Installing it is easy, proving it works is a different story. All I can say is we haven’t had a problem since it’s been on the boat. We have had it since it was a new item. So a lot of years at this point.

If you pull your boat during the winter months I suggest you hang a milk jug or something on the saw to get attention. It is very sharp and you would not want to drag your back on it while working or looking at your boat bottom.

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Great suggestion on rigging it to call attention to it. As it happens, I found a competing prodiuct, the "Prop Protector" available in the USA from a Britich supplier, that is half the price of the Shaft Shark and purports to do exactly the same thing.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Can anyone state that they witnessed either of these devices sever a lobster pot float?