Shaft packing

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
Looking for size information for the prop shaft packing. Boat is a 450 with 1 inch shaft in water so removing the old means stifling the water ingress as I locate a replacement, if I know in advance the delay is gone. Anyone know?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It’s either 1/4 or 3/16 inch. If you don’t get a definitive answer, buy both and return the unused one.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
From the owner's manual: https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Owners-Manuals/450_owners_manual.pdf

1616426858119.png

Some general packing size guidance also offered as follows from the link below: Measure the (annular) space between the shaft and the inside of the packing nut to determine the correct flax size. Multiply the diameter of your shaft by 14 to get the approximate number of inches you need for 4 layers of new packing. For a 1.25" shaft packing size is 1/4".

• Helpful
Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Shouldn't that be 1-1/4" as per @sail sfbay 's drawing ?

This is how I pack mine in the water and control water ingress

View attachment 191923
FWIW I used Ralph's method (tks Ralph) + added an old boat mechanic's trick to stiffle water ingress. I prepared the rope, unscrewed the paking gland, pushed back the cap, then before installing & tightening the rope I packed the opening with marine grease (the old boy's trick !). The tensioned rope and the grease stopped the flow so much that I had lots of time to clean the old packing out of the cap and install the new one properly. A slow trickle of water spurted in when I removed the rope and screwed the cap back on. As for the remaining grease, it gets spun off the shaft as soon as you put it in gear. Good luck with your installation.