Shaft or propellor noise, coolant leakage outside?

• Thread starter Sjoerd van der Maaden
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sjoerd van der Maaden

Dear all, I've recently bougt an HR38, built in '82. During our first trip I noticed that under some circumstances there would be a whining noise under power, which would dissapear after engagement of reverse, with some relatively high revs applied (2500), followed by engagement of forward again. I have no earlier experience with HR's, and obviously I dont want to destroy anything. Since the boat is now on the dry, I can now do repairs or have them done. Another matter, whic might or might not be related... I notices some greenish fluid coming out of the propshaft while she was just on the dry, there are still some traces left on the anti-fouling. This could be either copper, or coolant?? The coolant level WAS pretty low... Any remakrs, hints, tips, warnings are VERY much appreciated!! Kind regards, SJoerd van der Maaden sjoerd <at> vandermaaden.nl

P

Paul Norman

Start here

Seeing as you are out of the water you should check the motor/shaft alignment, the soft engine mounts do deform over time. Disconnect the prop shaft, remove the half coupling and pull the shaft out about 200mm, you might need to pour some water into the culess bearing. Remove the Volvo seal. This is the ONLY part on the whole boat which requires regular maintenance but is difficulty to access. Check the sealing lips are intact and worn uniformly. If they are not the engine is out of alignment. If there is any wear consider replacing the seal, the boats integrety depends upon it! Don't forget to "burp" it when you return to the water! Exactly where is the green fluid coming from? The is no source of coolant at that end of the system. If it is next to the prop or inside from the Volvo seal you may have a problem with corrosion of the prop shaft tube which is brass. This tube should be connected to an anode. Is the fluid water based? Taste it, salty? sweet (anitfreeze). I'm in the third year of a complete refit of my 38 so if you need any other advice....

Status
Not open for further replies.