Setee supports on Hunter 23

May 3, 2013
Hunter H23 Chickamauga lake
I have the settee bench tops removed and new ones cut and noticed that the horizontal boards they rest on are delaminating. They go into a slot on either side of the bilge are they glued or glassed in?

Attachments

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I wonder if those slats were meant to be slipped into place to allow a board to go on top to make an expanded sleeping area.

Mar 12, 2020
Hunter 23 Lake Pleasant
I wonder if those slats were meant to be slipped into place to allow a board to go on top to make an expanded sleeping area.
Yes, the the cabin sole boards are slid into the slots, then the padded backs of the setees are laid on top to make a full-width berth. At least that's the way it works on my 23.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I am not sure where your arrows point exactly. Are you asking if the vertical teak veneered sides of the settee on either side of the floor pan are glued to the fiberglass inner hull? I can't recall on mine, but look on the inside and see if they are tabbed to the floor pan with glass cloth and epoxy. That's my guess, not being near the boat.

May 3, 2013
Hunter H23 Chickamauga lake
I am not sure where your arrows point exactly. Are you asking if the vertical teak veneered sides of the settee on either side of the floor pan are glued to the fiberglass inner hull? I can't recall on mine, but look on the inside and see if they are tabbed to the floor pan with glass cloth and epoxy. That's my guess, not being near the boat.
I bit the bullet and started unscrewing and was I surprised no tabbing just a few as screws it was 3/8 in wood I’m going back with 1/2 inch covered with epoxy I can’t believe this lasted 36 years lol

Attachments

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
If the original panels lasted 36 years, I see no reason not to replace using the same method. Just seal them up real good.

Oct 3, 2021
Hunter 23 Middle Bay
I am in the midst of the same project! I see that you cut away the glass that tabbed in the bench tops. Any issues with that? I was a little timid about doing that, and now I am trying to get my new bench top snuck in under the old tabs. Are you re-tabbing the new ones with fiberglass?