Set up time on 170

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

After driving with the 170 in tow, how long does it take to step mast and set everything up for sailing? And then how long does it take to retrieve and secure everthing for trailering back to the storage lot? If you know, is the time frame really any different for the 21/ Thank you Dave

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 170 -
Setup Time

Dave, Plan on 30 - 45 minutes if you set up alone, slightly shorter if you have a buddy. This is not racing along, just plodding meticulously. Time can be reduced (to 20 minutes or so) by changing out various pins and such. See the archives and the photo forum for some time savers. Takedown time about the same, including packing the sails. Sorry can't help you on the 216. Godspeed, Rusty

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Set up and takedown of 170

Dave, I agree with Rusty. Setup time singlehanded is about 40 minutes. I find the best timesavers are easy-pins (as Rusty also mentions) and doing things not so much 'in a particular order', but doing things IN the boat first (pin on the jibsail/forstay, step mast, attach boom, attach vang, tension rig) then step down out of the boat and do those things (attach rudder/tiller, detach stern tie-downs, etc.). The boat is real simple to rig, and a blast to sail. Look at link called "Hunter 170 reefing/ furling improvements" on the bottom righthand side of the Hunter 170 Hunterowners webpage. I think the last photo in there shows my Johnson Shroud Tensioner levers (as suggested by Rusty). They save major time in pre-tensioning the rig. Also, if you can't get enough slack to attach the forestay to the bow furler drum, pull the halyard D-shackle 'round front and use the trailer winch to tighten. This bends the mast forward, allowing easy hookup. Full sails, Mike G. s/v Lil Sport Alachua, FL

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Setup and takedown of 170

Dave, I agree with Rusty. Setup time singlehanded is about 40 minutes. I find the best timesavers are easy-pins (as Rusty also mentions) and doing things not so much 'in a particular order', but doing things IN the boat first (pin on the jibsail/forstay, step mast, attach boom, attach vang, tension rig) then step down out of the boat and do those things (attach rudder/tiller, detach stern tie-downs, etc.). The boat is real simple to rig, and a blast to sail. Look at link called "Hunter 170 reefing/ furling improvements" on the bottom righthand side of the Hunter 170 Hunterowners webpage. I think the last photo in there shows my Johnson Shroud Tensioner levers (as suggested by Rusty). They save major time in pre-tensioning the rig. Also, if you can't get enough slack to attach the forestay to the bow furler drum, pull the halyard D-shackle 'round front and use the trailer winch to tighten. This bends the mast forward, allowing easy hookup. Full sails, Mike G. s/v Lil Sport Alachua, FL

C

Chuck

that time is about right

I agree with the times and suggestions already stated. Although, when storm clouds were gathering, we went from ramp to road in 10 minutes. Amazing what a person can do when motivated!

J

john12527

are you including launching?

I keep thinking I am doing something wrong because I hear people say that they can rig their 170 in 20 minutes. I usually look at my watch when I pull into the parking lot and again when I am sailing away. My record is a little more than an hour to rig and launch. My average is closer to two hours. I may not get as much practice as some of you because I keep my boat in the water much of the summer and only trailer it about 4 times per year. maybe I will get better with more practice!!! john

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Launching included

John, I've found practice does make, er, umm, faster, when rigging/launching the 170. I include launching in my 40 minutes time quote, but then the ramp I use (on a mid sized lake in Florida) is at the end of a residential street where almost everyone around there owns a house and boat lift, so the ramp's uncrowded. No line-up. Let's hope it stays that way! Mike

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 170 -
Setup Instructions

John, I bet we can save you quite a bit of time! I had put together an instruction set last year that may be able to save you an hour or so. As Mike pointed out, start either in the boat or out, but don't keep going back and forth...wastes lots of time and is tough on the body if you don't have a step stool to help you get in/out. If you are interested, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy. Godspeed, Rusty

J

john12527

it was me

Thanks Rusty, I re-checked my notebook. You mail me a copy of your rigging instructions last year. I took them with me the first couple times I set the boat up, and they helped a lot. Then when I got more comfortable I stopped looking at them. Maybe now I can use them again as a time saving tool instead of a "where the heck does this thing go?" tool. Thanks, John

Status
Not open for further replies.