Servicing the Maxwell Winches

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
Getting ready to tear down and service the Maxwell self-tailing winches on our 37C.
It's my understanding that Maxwell is out of business, but they're inventory was bought by an Australian company
Arco-Hutton.
Before I contact them, I was hoping someone here could direct me to a thread or video about servicing them.
A manual or exploded drawing would be helpful as well.
TIA

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Below are links to two Youtube videos and thread on servicing your Maxwell winches. Contact Arco-Hutton to buy some spare parts. Suggest taking a photo of each disassembly step to refer to when re-assembling.

Maxwell 2 speed winch repair:

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
Below are links to two Youtube videos and thread on servicing your Maxwell winches. Contact Arco-Hutton to buy some spare parts. Suggest taking a photo of each disassembly step to refer to when re-assembling.

Maxwell 2 speed winch repair:
Tsail sfbay,
Thanks for the videos and the good advice.
I'll definitely photograph the disassembly for assembly reference.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
This site has some drawings too: go to "Owner Resources" in the top bar, then click on "General Downloads" and then scroll down to the Maxwell Winch stuff.. Lots of great info in the general downloads section.
Hunter_gen_99194652.pdf (sailboatowners.com)
kloudie 1,
Thanks for the service manual, that really helps.
I found my service manual, but it got wet and the pages were stuck together.

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
I just got a circular from West Marine saying that they're having a sale on Lewmar Winches between March 10-15, 2021.
Buy one and get one for free.
So I'm thinking about switching out the Maxwell 26 self tailing winches for Lewmar.

Does anyone know which Lewmar winch I should get?
TIA

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
OK...I've rebuilt the 2 jib sheet and the mainsail Maxwell Winches.
They were cruddy, but now they spin like a top.
I also could not resist taking advantage of the West Marine Lewmar winch 2 for 1 sale and I broke down and bought 2 EVO ST 45 Lewmar winches which should soon be delivered to my local West Marine store .

I'm in a quandary in that maybe buying the Lewmar's was an extravagance that was unnecessary.
I could put those Maxwell's back on and they'd be fine, and yet having a brand new winches is not a bad thing.

Anyway I'm leaning toward using the new winches and selling the Maxwell's.
One of the winches was missing a spring, so I contacted Allen at Arco-Hutton winches in Australia and he's sending me a packet of 20 springs.

So, if you guys know anyone who would want to buy two recently serviced Maxwell 26's, let me know.
The anchor holes on the 37C should line up perfectly.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............So, if you guys know anyone who would want to buy two recently serviced Maxwell 26's, let me know. The anchor holes on the 37C should line up perfectly.
Suggest posting the used winches for sale on this site through the link below, Craigslist or ebay

Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 37C 3 Centerport
OK, I posted the Maxwell's on the Sailboatowners Classified's.
I also posted them on eBay with a $900 starting price.
I would sell 'm for $900, I'm also including 8 replacement springs that I purchased from Arco-Hutton.