Series Anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy Piersma

I want to increase the anchor holding power of my H34 during storm conditions. I feel relatively confident that my Bruce 22 lb. will set in all bottoms in my cruising grounds (Channel Islands to Mexico), from Practical Sailor tests, but I'm also very worried about its holding capability (same tests). Rather than purchase a much larger Bruce, since I don't have a windlass, I'm considering using a Fortress (light, easily handled with plenty of holding power (same tests), in series with the Bruce, tied to its shank at the fluke end. The Fortress would be lowered first, and while drifting backwards the Bruce would be lowered. The great advantages that I see are; 1. The Fortress would have essentially an infinite scope (since its rode would be horizontal) thus increasing its holding power (a perfect sentinel); 2. If the bottom was such that the Fortress would not naturally set (like in seaweed or grass) the Bruce would set and if it later dragged in worsening conditions, it would plow the grass preparing the bottom for the Fortress to set and hold; and 3. The ability of the Bruce to reset with wind changes is still maintained. Has anyone used this method or has comments on its workability?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Pointy anchor

Randy: As far as an anchor that works well in grass and weeds, I think that the CQR or a Delta are better candidates. Obviously you know the holding power of your Bruce and have a lot of confidence in it. One other thing that you did not mention is adding additonal chain. I think that chain will add more holding power to an anchor than anything. The danforth and fortress anchor are not an anchor I would trust in a grass or weed bottom. If you are in sand and mud the danforth/fortress will out hold these other anchors pound for pound hands down.

T

Tim

Resetting?

I've thought about using a series anchor a few times but have been reluctant since I worry about what will happen if the boat turns and the anchors need to re-set. Won't they tangle, potentially making both useless? My solution is a light anchor (a Danforth) for short term use and a heavy anchor for when I mean to stay set (a Delta.) My '81 H30 has the halyard winch on the deckhouse near the cockpit and I run the anchor rode all the way back to it for use as a windlass. Its basically a straight shot from the pulpit back, with a slight bend leading over the front edge of the deckhouse above the v-berth. I keep that area well waxed and only let clean anchor rode ride over it. Works for me.

R

Richard Gresham

Twice the work

The series idea sounds good but, once you've hauled up the Bruce and got it in the chalks how do you get to the Fortress rode? And adding the Fortress is still going to make it a heavier load to haul up. Practical Sailors latest article on anchors showed the Spade anchor (22lbs) to have twice the holding power (1000lbs) of most anchors tested. It may be a simple alternative

T

Todd Osborne

Why not use two seperate anchors?

I believe it is called Bahemian (sp?) anchoring. Put out two anchors (bow), each in opposed directions, perpindicular to the direction of the force (wind,current) This gives you twice the holding power and the anchors would rarely have to reset, even in 180 degree direction changes. Plus you always have the option of only dropping one hook in protected waters. This setup also minimizes your swing to the same area as a mooring bouy (nice in confined anchorages). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.