Serial numbers/year built.

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
Hi.
Does anyone know how C&C tracked their model year in relation to the year of construction on the serial number plate back in the day?

If the plate says ‘73 would that mean it was built in 1973 but is a model year 1974?

I know that’s the way most snowmobile makers do/did it but not sure about boats.
Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Hi.
Does anyone know how C&C tracked their model year in relation to the year of construction on the serial number plate back in the day?

If the plate says ‘73 would that mean it was built in 1973 but is a model year 1974?

I know that’s the way most snowmobile makers do/did it but not sure about boats.
Thanks
Could be. There is a difference between model year and year built. A 1974 boat could have been built in 1973.

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
Ya, hard to tell for sure. I found some stuff online for how to interpret old serial numbers, but it doesn’t jive with the numbers on my plate. I’ll have to check for a number on the hull in the spring. Till then I’ll just assume it’s a model year 1974 built in 1973.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ya, hard to tell for sure. I found some stuff online for how to interpret old serial numbers, but it doesn’t jive with the numbers on my plate. I’ll have to check for a number on the hull in the spring. Till then I’ll just assume it’s a model year 1974 built in 1973.
Most year to year changes in models are pretty small. Over the years the Sabre 362 was built the year to year changes did things like change the laminate counter tops to Corian, up graded lighting fixtures, changed the battery positions, and so forth. The major components hull, deck and interior pans remained unchanged due to the high cost of building new molds.

When a major change occurs the model designation will change, C&C would designate them as Mark II, Mark III, other companies would indicate the change in other ways, the Sabre 36 became the Sabre 362 because it was a completely different boat.