semi seized rudder bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2008
bavaria 47 exclusive howth dublin ireland
1998 - Bavaria 47 ..rudder bearings replaced 2 yrs ago and wheel has now become v stiff to turn. Any suggestions to solve this problem??

robgs

May 24, 2004
Bavaria Vision 40 Rock Hall MD
rudder

My Vision 40 had very stiff steering from new. The rudder bearings were inspected and replaced by the dealer under warranty. The problem with the original lower bearing was debris (metal filings) introduced during factory assembly imbedded in the inner surface of the lower self aligning bearing. This caused binding against the rudder shaft surface. The replacement bearing has a race of rollers that ride against the rudder shaft unlike the original bearing which was just a smooth bore in the plastic bearing-teflon or nylon I think. The roller bearing design would probably solve your problem.

Rob

Oct 1, 2008
bavaria 47 exclusive howth dublin ireland
My Vision 40 had very stiff steering from new. The rudder bearings were inspected and replaced by the dealer under warranty. The problem with the original lower bearing was debris (metal filings) introduced during factory assembly imbedded in the inner surface of the lower self aligning bearing. This caused binding against the rudder shaft surface. The replacement bearing has a race of rollers that ride against the rudder shaft unlike the original bearing which was just a smooth bore in the plastic bearing-teflon or nylon I think. The roller bearing design would probably solve your problem.

Rob
hi Rock
Thanks for reply. I had the rudder dropped (with difficulty) and found the problem was nowxidisation on the rudder post and was sorted out by sanding.wheel is now light and smooth.
Regards Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.