Sell my M17 and get a Hobie Sailing Kayak?

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
Yes, that is what I am thinking I may want to do..... Should I sell my beloved Montgomery 17 and get a Hobie Tandem Island?

Sell this -

And buy this?

The Hobie Tandem Island can be had new for $5,599 and a nice used one for $4,000-$4,600 but they are hard to find.

I know there are pros and cons to each boat and I think the pros for the Hobie outweigh the Montgomery in my current situation. I haven't taken my Montgomery out in over a year... But I've had several opportunities since then when the hobie would have been perfect and easy to take along.... I know I'd be giving up the cabin and heftiness of the Montgomery but I think I would be happy with beach camping as I am a backpacker and enjoy camping.

So what do you all think, am I crazy????

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I am (was) a very active expedition sailing kayaker. The hobie sailing kayak is a fun boat but there are many other sailing kayak options that provide improved open water protection and work better for the multi-day adventures I think you are looking for. Good news! There is a great place for you to explore this interest with kindred spirits. www.watertribe.com The world of sailing kayaks await you.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
good that someone piped up, hobie is terrible about their yaks, theres almost always a better answer, and anything with that mirage drive is a joke.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Preface - I actually own and have used many times a Hobie AI. Ive never set foot on a TI.

My use for the AI is "water hikes" or maybe "water bike rides". It sails OK but if you don’t pedal, its slower than most other sailboats you might encounter including sunfish. However, when you pedal and sail, it’s now fairly fast and it’s easy to put on the miles. Ive always been very impressed with the mirage drive but its complicated and will wear out but Im gong on five years now on mine. When I go out with a sailboat, I’m out primarily for the act of sailing which I very much enjoy. When I take the AI out, I usually have some destination in mind and am looking forward to some exercise. If it’s going to be a very windy day, I would prefer to take the AI out as the easily furled sail gives it a huge wind range. No wind, you pedal, in very high winds, you may have just a sliver of sail out and pedaling. The tri gives it lots of stability. It’s a wet ride which is good if the water is warm, I wear a dry suit if the water is cold.

The AI and TI have a little issue fitting in since it doesn’t fit with the sailboats or kayaks and even if there are other AI or TI's around, you may encounter someone who thinks you are "cheating" if you use the pedals - why I stopped sailing with the local club. Pedaling is a major reason I like that boat and Im usually pedaling like crazy any time Im on it.

I love the AI but could not give up the sailboat for it.. FYI, best to plan on a trailer with the TI and even the AI. You can car top the AI but its just too heavy to do very often.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
YES, by all means. Sell the Monty to me for $100.00!! :D :eek:

Jill and I have been looking for one to use as our summer home when not on our Nor'Sea. ;)

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I haven't taken my Montgomery out in over a year../QUOTE]

I think you've answered your own question. It is my mantra that one should own a boat for the way you'll use it. If you're not using it, it is the wrong boat for you. Sell it and get something you will use.

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
Gunni, I checked out the Watertribe site and I couldn't find these sailing kayaks that are better suited. I did find the Triak via a Google search but they don't offer a tandem option.

I'm looking for something fun and functional and the Hobie looks like it hits the nail on the head. You can load folks up on it and enjoy yourselves or do some multiday trips.

What is a better option for a sailing kayak?

The mirage drive is a joke? I have never used one but I have yet to find any negative things about it until now, and I have been doing a fair amount of reading the past few days.

Walt, I think I am more of a destination sailor too. I enjoy going some place with something to do, snorkeling/freediving is probably my main reason I go out.... Also, I am a bit of a fitness buff so the pedaling thing is right up my alley.

Greg, maybe not for $100 lol!

Shemandr, thanks for your input, I agree with you 100%. That is why I hate to see my boat just sitting....

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
The mirage drive isn't intrinsically bad its just overpriced for what it really is...for a pedal yak the native mariner is far superior...sailing yaks aren't my thing...I can see the point if the package fits your need but hobie's prices are inflated and the used market is ballooning beyond reason

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I personally could not chose between the two, I really like both your options.

One other thing..

17 foot sailboat on the trailer - probably over 2000 pounds.

Hobie AI on a trailer - 380 pounds. TI probably another 100?

One time we towed the AI about 1800 miles with a Toyota Corolla, hardly could tell it was there.

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
Walt,

I do like the thought of being able to tow the TI with my wife's little car instead of my big 2500 diesel. It would be much cheaper to go on trips then, especially to the Keys!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
They sell these Hobies on Lake Hopatcong. My impression is they aren't bad as long as you are sailing downwind. Trying to sail upwind ... forgetaboutit. Actually, I'm a fan of the Hobie catamarans for their fun factor. I wish I never sold my Hobie 16 so many years ago. So on that vein of thought, I think you could regret selling that nice looking Montgomery 17.

Now, I'm glad this thread came up. We have a nice rotomolded tandem kayak that we haven't used much in a few years. We used to paddle it on the Delaware River upstream from the Water Gap. It has enclosed cockpits with spray skirts and deck compartments for storage. It can also be fitted with a rudder for steering with pedals. I'm thinking it could be converted into a sailing kayak, now that I see there might be this potential.

Oct 15, 2009
catalina 320 Perry Lake
Check out a Klepper Aireus II with sailing package. It is a 2 person kayak that comes apart and stores in 3 canvas bags. Some guy crossed the Atlantic in one. I had one for 40 years and even with the patches on the hull and repaired wooden ribs (used it in river rapids w/out sailing gear as well), sold it for more than it cost me new. Extremely stable and durable.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Before you dive in and buy a sailing kayak under the assumption that it is a sailboat equivalent you are going to have to do some research. Unless you just want to do daysailing, there is a big difference. And you risk being very disappointed with your assumptions.

For instance, sailing kayaks aren't designed to sail to wind very well. Unless you want to run stays and other complications you won't have a foresail. You will need to power them (paddle of pedal). The key features are light, minimal, ability to access <ft. of water, affordable and convertible to a boat you can carry. The Everglades and Keys are perfect for this craft. You can sail to places no sailboater can go.

If you register and post to the watertribe site forum and ask for guidance you will be conversing with people who have huge experience, some in small sailing craft. This sport is a whole other world of accessible sailing. The rewards can be great, I used to carry my folding tandem boat to the islands and do the same itinerary that keel boat charters do. It was however, a hard sell for the wife :neutral: I see a lot more of her in the keelboat.

search key words:
Kruger canoes
microcruising
Folbot
Balogh Sail Designs
Chesapeake Light Craft
WETA marine

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
I bet I will regret selling my Montgomery, but I just don't use it much and I think its a sin lol

Just something I would use and could use with friends and family is what I'm thinking. Seems like it's such a hassle to get the M17 ready to go with the setup and towing. That darn Hobie you jus load it up/hook it up and go and splash it in 5-10 minutes....

I checked out those foldable kayaks, thanks for recommending them. I think I favor the hobie for the trimaran design and the SOT feature where you don't have to worry about water getting in it which might limit the fun factor. I can't see them sailing better than a Hobie trimaran either.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
There have been a number of folks complete the Everglades Challenge (Tampa to Key Largo) in a Hobie with sail and mirage drive, but they did it in drysuits, decks awash and their gear lashed to the deck. The folders and kayak / canoes provide a much drier ride and the ability to stow gear below deck.

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
Gunni, thanks for the great post!

I'm doing a good bit of research and watching tons of Youtube videos and reading threads several over at Watertribe. I'm not one to jump into something like this without doing a lot of research.

I really don't mind powering them at all, I think it will actually be something I will enjoy. I live a pretty darn active lifestyle, working for a living, Crossfit 5-6 times a week, backpacking, freediving and whatever else fills my adventurous spirit.

I honestly don't see myself doing many extended cruises, my life and family constraints just will not allow as many as I would like but I'm ok with that. If I can get down to the Keys once a year for a week or so I will be satisfied and a few trips down along the Florida gulf coast. From what I have gathered thus far is that the Hobie TI would be a great vessel for this type of thing and family and friends could enjoy it on the weekends with me easier than the M17.

Microcruising! Oh Microcruising! I absolutely love the idea of microcruising. I have looked at their boat designs and read everything there is to read on them. I find myself going back every so often and just browsing... Love it!

I sound like I have my mind made up don't I? Thank you all for helping me make this decision!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I watched your sailing videos and they reminded me of my own early days of discovery. Enjoy the ride! You would fit right in with the Tribers!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Reminds me of a story where a jet fighter pulls up ahead of a jet liner and calls on the radio, "Hey watch what I can do" and he proceeds to roll the plane and do a couple of loops. The jet liner Captain not to be outdone replied, "just watch what I can do" and for the next 15 minutes the fighter pilot looked but could not see anything happening. He got back on the radio and said "you did not do anything" to which the Captain replied " Oh yes I did, I got up and used the restroom to take a leak and on the way back I got a cup of coffee and pinched the stewardess" This encompasses my commentaries on your proposed trade.

Dec 31, 2012
Catalina 28 mkll #649 Port Charlotte, fl
great comments gunni, and benny..... just exactly why i love this form.... fair winds brian

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Reminds me of a story where a jet fighter pulls up ahead of a jet liner and calls on the radio, "Hey watch what I can do" and he proceeds to roll the plane and do a couple of loops. The jet liner Captain not to be outdone replied, "just watch what I can do" and for the next 15 minutes the fighter pilot looked but could not see anything happening. He got back on the radio and said "you did not do anything" to which the Captain replied " Oh yes I did, I got up and used the restroom to take a leak and on the way back I got a cup of coffee and pinched the stewardess" This encompasses my commentaries on your proposed trade.
I've gotta admit, I like that. My sentiments exactly. It is NOT however an opinion on what the owner wants, only he knows that. And it sounds like he does. Different strokes mate. Enjoy the kayak, really. I love seeing them on the water.
Just because it doesn't suit me means nothing.

I still like the joke though..