Self Steering

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
I am curious what non-powered systems others are using for self-steering and how you like it. I am a lake sailor and just want to quickly tie down the tiller so I can drop the main, furl the Genoa, grab a beverage ...

I'm contemplating several manual systems like the Tiller Clutch ($$$), Tiller Tamer, Forespar Tiller Lock Box, or just a good ol' fashioned lashing, etc. and as opposed to an Autohelm type set up. I had an old Tiller Stay (sold by Catalina Direct) on my previous Catalina 22. Nice concept, but a PITA with too much friction.

Thanks in advance, Dave

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Testing testing;

Sorry to bother you but I am testing commenting on this site.

Self steering. I use a bungee cord from the tiller, to the block which mainsail goes through ...

Holds it centered, but flexible enough to allow movement for small steering corrections.

Hershey 297 Sailvation

Jul 9, 2013
The Davis brand Tiller Tamer has helped keep Kudzu on course since I bought her 13 years ago!

Jerry
1985 Capri 22 #155 "Kudzu" fin keel/std rig

Jul 2, 2013
I also sail on a lake and have been trying to figure out something as well. So far this is what I've experienced.

Lock box: Doesn't work for our boat unless the tiller extension is mounted to the underside of the tiller. But along the same idea as the lockbox, I've been trying to find something that I can mount next to the stern pulpit base to quickly snap the tiller extension into. I'm trying something out now I rigged up, but I'm not sure it's durable enough to work long term or if it's choppy.

Tiller Tamer: The lake im on has constantly changing wind direction, so I found it was more trouble than it was worth feeding the line through it when I wanted to use it since I'd be constantly tweaking it anyways. And even when you loosen it, theres enough friction to annoy me (maybe not others). If the wind is consistant, I think i would use it more. It worked out that I installed the jamb cleats on the transom for the tiller tamer, because I use them all the time now to secure the rudder in place to deal with mainsail. I just keep one side tied off, and quickly give two three wraps around the tiller with a line and cleat it. Works great. But you need some kind of stop to keep the line sliding aft. I have a tiller extension clip about half way down the tiller which does the trick.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I run a line from one of the aft cleats, take a couple of wraps around the tiller just in front of the tiller extension, then over to the other cleat or to one of the little jam cleats PO installed on the transom for the Tiller Tamer I've never used. Taking a couple of wraps, instead of a clove hitch, lets me make small adjustments as necessary.

I use the same approach to tie off the tiller so it doesn't move around at the slip, except I lash it after I put the sun cover on.

If we're anchored out I'll lash it up to the inverted V of the adjustable backstay. Not quite as secure but I also don't have to climb over it.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
For the Capri 22, I used to use a bungee, cleated around the traveler, then around the tiller twice, then back to the traveler... I'd slide the hooks one way or the other to lock in "straight." I used to say it gave me about 15-30 seconds (depending on conditions) to do whatever I had to do... Usually JUST enough to get started raising the genoa, or drop the main... Never enough to finish! So Divide how many minutes somethign takes you, and interrupt that every 30 seconds to come back and adjust course.

It's why I purchased the ST1000+, and my whole sailing experience got WAY better. I'd say, that it's the best $400 you can spend if you sail solo, pretty much ever!

it's good enough now, that I'll fire up the motor, bring it to gear, just above an idle... giving me 2 knots... lock the course (longest course home)... and drop sails, button up boot, roll/pack sails, tidy up, and by the time I am nearing the dock I am nearly done!

Same goes for leaving the dock... I lock the boat into the wind, just above idle after I am out of the dock, go raise main... get everything set... trim the main fall off, set new course with TP, then shut off the motor, pull it, then raise the genoa (I've corrected course 1 time during this)...

The Tiller Pilots aren't flawless, but boy do they make single handed sailing MUCH MUCH easier. If you can stretch to get one, you'll NEVER regret it.

I should note that the Capri 25 is more balanced and bottom mounted rudder, so it's "stiffer" and I can lock the tiller without the pilot for 20-30 seconds reprieve (sometimes more as the balance on this boat is better - I probably rigged it better)... but I really use the TP for most things. You'll love this though.... sometimes I'll throw the tiller pilot on the pin of the tiller... but not hit auto (essentially locking the tiller)...

That leads me to a question for all of you... have you ever gotten good enough rig balance on your Capri 22 so that locking the tiller at X, will sail it given a fairly consistent set of winds etc... I never could seem to hit that sweet spot with mine.

Jul 11, 2013
I use and I generally like the Davis Tiller Tamer but I by no means think it's perfect. The extra lines led aft get in my way and you do have to fiddle with the knob on top (too much tension or too little often back and forth). Though for whatever reason I've come to like the tension on the tiller, I can bump it a bit and bump it back but not have to constantly have my hand resting on it. And it does give you a few seconds when you need it. I'll admit to lusting after an ST1000 myself though now that I've tried sailing bigger water with an hour or more between tacks. Steering for me gets a little boring in those conditions.

One time and one time only - a couple weeks back when on a beam reach in really steady, 14knt wind I got the boat to balance, like really really balance. With the tiller tamer locked down and not a lot of shifting weight around the boat I didn't touch the tiller for a solid 15 minutes maybe more. But that's the only time I've ever got that to happen, I didn't think the boat was capable of it and I don't expect to be able to do it again! Sort of a one time Unicorn moment I think, unless you're a better sailor than me :D

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Piper...

Last night I had the most delightful sail... on our inland always puffy, wind direction changing lake... But the wind MOSTLY came from reach to close reach down the lake, and reach to broad reach back last night.

But the key to the story is... I got the rig all balanced now, since the "tuning guide" says that the last adjustments are to be made under way. Well I had no crew!... On went the TP... locked in for a 4 mile course to the dam... then at 4.5-5 knots of way, heeled to 15 degrees, I sat low side and snugged up the aft, and foreward lowers. I got settled... came back to the tiller, pressed 2 buttons (tack), then adjusted trim for the opposite tack... and went to work on the other side shrouds...

I've NEVER been able to do that before on this lake (always too shifty, and not enough wind, or too bumpy/lumpy/busy on the lake)... But boy it's nice to know the rig is set now.

Makes pictures like this possible (yep I am a garbage scowl while sailing "cans" everywhere, tossable, bucket, horn, phone, lines everywhere)... But LOOK no hands!

Yep, I am the king of being cheap... My lifeline cushions are dollar store noodles... my jib rollers are cheap (free) PVC piping (to protect my really expensive genoa when I have it up), I reused the cars for the twings to place a block on the spinnaker track to run the spin pole downhaul. The deck on this boat is nasty (needs to be filled, sanded, and repainted, yep it was already painted once 15+ years ago, and it has no shine left).

Jul 11, 2013
Aww, killin' me! Heck it all looks pretty good to me! Just brought the boat up to the Apostle Islands in Wisconsin to a Marina that's about 9 nautical miles south of the fun stuff. That's a long run without auto pilot IMO. Perhaps I'll sell that fishing boat that's just sitting on the side of the house afterall...

Jul 11, 2013
And oh yea, I'm SURE that the TP would be a better helmsman than me or anyone else I sail with. I have a tendency to talk too much to crew or guests then look up because we're pinching or luffing...humph. ;)

Jul 17, 2013
I use a product called a "Tiller Lock". Works like a charm for leaving the helm unattended for short periods. I quite like how the lever can easily and quickly be moved to apply and release tension to the control line.

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Kind of a big difference between self-steer system and a tiller tamer.
...think what you want is a tiller tamer.