Selden inmast fuler tack tube assembly question

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have a 2004 Hunter 41AC with in mast furling. We purchased a new set of sails this year from UK. The issue I need help with is related to the tack tube splice separating and preventing the top swivel from coming down. I was forced to clime the mast to get it over a ½ inch separation on the tack tube. The separated joint that sits just below the 2nd spreader. Basically 15 feet from the top of the mast. I saw in the parts explosion that the tack tube(D40) is spliced and riveted together with 4 SS rivets on each side of the splice(D41). When I was looking at the mast splice up in the air, I could not tell if the rivets are counter sunk or left proud. Can anybody with experience with this please advise?

The mast will come down in the spring to facilitate a repair. I expect that I will need to cut off a small portion of the tack tube (D40) where the rivet holes got hogged out and then add an additional splice with an appropriate amount of new tack tube. I also suspect that there are other rivet attachment points that will need attention.

It is my belief that the tack tube got over tightened when the new sails were installed, or after 18 years it just wore out.

Thanks for your advice!

PS I did send an email to Selden USA almost 3 weeks ago, and have had no response.

Attachments