Seized Farymann

Aug 28, 2014
Cal 2-27 Blaine
We were rebuilding the top end on my old Farymann A30.
took the head and cylinder off and had to leave it for 2 weeks. When we got back to it the bottom end was completely seized. I have tried everything I can think of to free it up an have had no success. It is soaking in penetrating oil but when I put the crank on it nothing moves.

I am now faced with removing the whole block and either repowering or rebuilding the engine. It is way beyond my comfort zone. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

Nov 9, 2009
catalina 25 wing keel rutledge tn.
Where are you located? Blaine where? I live close to Blaine, Tenn. If you only left the engine open for two weeks, the engine should not be locked up that tightly. Sounds like something else is wrong. I am going to need more info in order to help you. Is the head off the engine? I am going to research Ferryman engine and will get back to you. If the head is off the engine and the engine turned over before you took it apart then the starter could be engaged, the transmission could be in gear, have you messed with the timing gears or timing chains? Can you look at the rod caps and make sure nothing has fallen into the crankcase?

Aug 28, 2014
Cal 2-27 Blaine
Thanks for the interest

Where are you located? Blaine where? I live close to Blaine, Tenn. If you only left the engine open for two weeks, the engine should not be locked up that tightly. Sounds like something else is wrong. I am going to need more info in order to help you. Is the head off the engine? I am going to research Ferryman engine and will get back to you. If the head is off the engine and the engine turned over before you took it apart then the starter could be engaged, the transmission could be in gear, have you messed with the timing gears or timing chains? Can you look at the rod caps and make sure nothing has fallen into the crankcase?
The Boat is in Blaine Washington. I agree the motor should not be locked up. It is bizarre. The head is off the engine. It turned easily when I took the head off. The transmission is not in gear. The head and cylinder have been removed. The piston is exposed and the rings have been removed. It is possible that something fell into the gap beside the piston but I have examined everything I can using a mirror and flashlight and I can't see a thing.
The starter is a possibility. Hard to remove in the tight space but I think I will try that.

I am grateful for any suggestions