Seidelmann 285

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2005
- - Galena, MD
Seidelmann S285

As far as I known there is only one S285. Bob Seidelmann built it for himself and had a great racing campaign on Chesapeake and then left the bay to campaign off the Jersy coast some place. If memory serves me right that would have been about 1983 or 84. Bob used the S295 hull with lower freeboard. The deck/cabin house was a modified S25. Bob said that intially it was a bit squirrely on spinnaker runs because the stern wanted to lift so Bob added a wing on the bottom the rudder to holder her down and get stirage. Bob liked the blue and white deck on my S25 hull #4 so much he did the same thing on his deck. Bob used a one off benty mast. I will try to find my pictures and get back on that.

V

Vince Benn

Bob's 285 was named "Mr. S." I saw it on the Berlin NJ factory floor when I bought my 295 in August '83. It had a 40' mast I think and a deep keel. When the factory guys weren't busy, he had them burnishing the bottom paint. He raced it at Atlantic City Race Week for several years, and I was told by Harry Schwartz (my salesman)that Bob always placed within the top 3. He raced with a crew of 5-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.