seepage with each sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon

My new Catalina 22 Sport has a bone dry bilge (now) when in the marina, but when I take it sailing, and thus far it has been all light winds, there's a minor sponging up of water in the starboard bilge. Will this develop into a problem?? Jon

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Leaks

Hi Jon, I think that these boats are a constant test of our inventiveness as to where to look for leaks. I'm assuming that the sport isn't too far different from the older standard 22s but critical areas can be different. When you say bilge, are you maning under the floor liner? Reason I asked was that I was getting water in the starboard settee which is above the floor at one point and if the boat would heel to port, the water would slosh out. 1st place I'd look is that it sounds as if the leak is small and right about at the waterline so that when you add the weight of a few bodies, the water comes in. If it's underneath the floor, I'd first check the volcano hose and fiberglass area around the volcano or the keel lockdown bolt and the fiberglass area around the front keel pivot. It may just involve tightening those hose clamps on the volcano or greasing the lockdown bolt threads. Another place to look are any sink drain fittings....if included. But I think that the Sport is sans sink. Or maybe even a leak in the porta-potty water tank if it's filled. It could be also that rain water is "hiding" in some other holding area and when you move the boat about it leaks down into the bilge. So, I'd look into the seat storage areas all the way to the front of the V berth. As an example: On the "new styles" they added an anchor locker in the bow. If the drain for that locker out by the Bow U bolt gets clogged the anchor locker fills with water or if the drain leaks into the insides the very front of the V berth area fills like a live bait minnow tank. One other example of a "weird" leak for my 1987 was that for some reason the cooler/ step had a few inches of water in it one time when we went up to the boat. I think that it was rain water but I can't for the life of me figure why or how that much water got into a closed lid with the hatch boards in place. Esp. since the rest of the boat was really very dry inside. If these things don't help, I'd take a close look at the exterior of the hull for any imperfections.

J

Jon

leaks

Bilbo, thanks for the response! I've already sealed the volcano, assuming that is the hose to hull joint where the centerboard cable runs down. On delivery, that leaked about three quarters of a bucket a day, tightening the clamps didn't do it, it took sealer around the bottom of the hose. If that springs a leak again, then it's cleaning off all that I did and then plumbers putty with a third hose clamp. I watch that like a hawk. This seepage is under the floor pan. I will grease the lockdown bolt, I appreciate the suggesion. I think the Sport is quite different from the older Catalina 22s. No sink, very simple. My centerboard trunk looks like it has a fiberglass covering vertically screwed down around the trunk to the floor, or that may indeed BE the trunk...don't know how to check the pivot and don't want to open anything up that could gush...I don't have a trailer. I've sent one question off to Catalina...and never got an answer, is that typical? Jon

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
FGlass covering

Hmmm, I would venture to guess that if anything is screwed down around the keel trunk, it's more cosmetic than a part of the hull. But absolutely don't trust my opinion. I can't say but you may want to try calling the company for a quicker answer.

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Greasing the Lockdown Bolt

Jon: My C-22 would definately take water into the compartment with the Keel Lockdown Bolt if I didn't grease it. I buy a grease stick at the hardware store, and coat the threads and screw it in. Then, I wipe off the excess. The grease is thick, almost waxy like a crayon, but a little stickier. The grease stick with teflon is actually the best, although for this bolt, the teflon isn't really required. Actually, I built up a fillet with silicone before doing the greasing, then when I screw the greased bolt in, the excess grease fills the inside of the silicone, and seals the bolt even better. This has worked well for me for many years. Your C-22 should be dry inside, unless you have a leak. I do remember reading on this forum about someone with a new style C-22 who had a leak at the rubrail seam. But, if you aren't heeling your boat to the rubrail, you shouldn't be having that problem. Finding leaks is challenging, but eventually you will find them. I think that finding them on houses is actually trickier for me, because I keep telling myself that water couldn't possibly be coming from one place and leaking at another. I hope that you enjoy your C-22 as much as we have enjoyed ours. We bought it new 27 years ago and enjoy it now as much as ever. Aldo

J

Jon

Greasing the Lockdown Bolt

Thank you, Aldo, I appreciate your answer and I will grease the bolt. Actually, given there's a number who say NEVER tighten that bolt (and many say equally vocally just the opposite) I may just seal the hole someday. But, for now, I will grease it. I had my previous sailboat for 14 years, you certainly have me beat in longevity. I do indeed like this boat a great deal. Jon

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
There must be something to the Keel Locking Bolt

Jon: There must be something to the keel locking bolt or Catalina would have stopped putting it on the C-22s years ago. The C-25 doesn't have a keel locking bolt. I would really like to see one of the new C-22s sailing on the Chesapeake someday. I would like to see how they sail compared to our boat. I think that the new ones are light. The 1986s to 1991s are much stronger and heavier than our boat. It's nice to have a stronger boat, but under light air conditions, which is typical for the Chesapeake in the summer, we often sail away from them. Aldo

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
Jam anyone?

I just bought a Catalina 22 1977 model and haven't put her in the water yet. Need to to some painting etc. This question of the lock down pin intregues me. I spent many years in the hydraulics industry and know a thing or two about sealing. There is no real pressure here so grease should work OK for a time but will eventually wash away. Stainless bolt could work but there is that galling problem. Has anyone tried a jam nut with a elastic washer? I'm thinking of a very soft density rubber or better yet neoprene gasket material about a 1/8 thick with the center hole cut so it barely goes over the threads. A jam nut and washer would be behind it. There after you tighten the keel lock run down the jam nut sealing the gasket against the threads of the bolt. With trailered boaters this would be a bit of a pain to fasten and unfasten but for those like me that intend to dock all summer it should work and without any worries. I jsut wonder if anyone has tried this?

J

Jon

Greasing the Lockdown Bolt, summer bimini?

Aldo, I know, one wonders why people are so polarized about the lock down bolt. I do know that boating here on the Pamlico, and especially going in and out of Chocowinity Bay, the water is thin, and there are places with old tree stumps under the water so having the centerboard able to give should one find something is a comforting thought (if not a comforting fact!). I do wish I had a kick up rudder.... I am pretty pleased with the light air performance of this boat. The brochure stated weight is 2250 pounds, not sure what yours would weigh. But, there's a LOT of factors in light air performance than just weight, I think. I'm still waiting to sail this boat with a good breeze, but will feel better about it when I get my new extended T-bolts and toggles from Catalina (They came through on the short shroud issue in very honorable shape). Speaking of summer down here, I really don't do much boating during July and August, it's just way too uncomfortable out there. But, do you know what kind of experience people have had with biminis on these boats? Jon

J

Jon

Jam anyone?

joetech, interesting thought! Please let us know how you make out with the locking bolt sealing issue! Jon

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Jam nut.

Joetech, sounds like a great idea. One could probably even just use a proper sized wingnut with a washer underneath and then a rubber washer seal. I think that the grease does generally work if you add some every year. I know that there is some discussion over whether to use the bolt or not because: 1)It may not even hold when you want it most. With the leverage factor the opposing forces are stronger. 2)It may bend and jam when you need it most. 3)You can forget about it being lockedand it won't stop you from raising the keel. but I can see a few uses. 1) It may help to prevent some side play in the keel when it's locked. Sideplay that happens when the boat heels that might slow the boat a tad and cause the boat to heel a degree or two more than if it were tight. Combine the pin with the add-on spacers from CD and it should be moresolid in this way. 2) Under certain wave action, the keel can start banging and this can happed when the keel is up or down. It may be a good idea when the boat is keept in the water to stop this banging and wearing of the moving parts. Same goes for while the boat is sailing in rougher seas.

J

Jon

extended length T-bolts and toggles

Aldo, "I don't know what you mean when you mentioned, "extended T-bolts and toggles". These are the bolts and brackets at the bottom of the shroud, my shrouds are a bit short, so these are longer than usual to extend the length of the shroud. Thank you for the picture of the biminis...I worry that I'm really pretty close to my toy quota for a while, but this summer a bimini will seem much more reasonable. (grin) Jon

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Lower gudgeon

Our C22 leaked only when we sailed, never at the dock. Turned out that sometimes, especially when motoring, the lower gudgeons (that hold the rudder) go underwater. That let water in. We added a rubber gasket cut to the size of the gudgeon and poken holes for the mounting bolts and sealed the bols with silicone. It never leaked again.

Jun 3, 2004
Lower gudgeon

Our C22 leaked only when we sailed, never at the dock. Turned out that sometimes, especially when motoring, the lower gudgeons (that hold the rudder) go underwater. That let water in. We added a rubber gasket cut to the size of the gudgeon and poken holes for the mounting bolts and sealed the bols with silicone. It never leaked again.

J

Jon

Lower gudgeon

Randy K Never thought of that, I'll have to give it a check also, though I've not noticed water coming past the volcano, but well worth checking. Thank you! Jon

J

Jon

Lower gudgeon

Randy K Never thought of that, I'll have to give it a check also, though I've not noticed water coming past the volcano, but well worth checking. Thank you! Jon

Jun 3, 2004
Another tool

I have heard of people using colored chalk to make lines at various places in the bilge area. Then look for where the water hit a line. That can help decipher where the water is coming from.

Jun 3, 2004
Another tool

I have heard of people using colored chalk to make lines at various places in the bilge area. Then look for where the water hit a line. That can help decipher where the water is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.