Seems like Cruising is becoming more dangerous

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My cousin called me this AM. She knew I had sailed in the Caribbean and was concerned. All was good.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
That's just downright awful. On another note, why steal one of the slowest types of boats as a getaway vessel?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While this is a tragic event, one event does not make a trend, even when it receives notice on national news. There are some areas more prone to violence, the waters off Columbia and Haiti come to mind, however the vast majority of the West Indies is pretty safe, unless you are a dinghy.

Noonsite.com collects security reports from cruisers around the world. A quick look at recent reports reveals a few burglaries and a bunch of dinghy thefts (mostly for the motors). Given the large numbers of cruisers currently in the West Indies, the incidence rates are pretty low.

As my wife and I plan our next cruise to some pretty remote places we worry more about getting injured or sick in some remote anchorage and not being able to access health care. That won't prevent us from leaving, just make us more cautious. On our last extended cruise the only time I was fearful of bodily harm was when we hiked into a swarm of yellow jackets, I am deathly allergic to bee stings.

It pays to be cautious and to avoid areas where crime may be prevalent, just keep things in perspective and be wary of alarmist headlines. Noonsite is a good resource as is the US State Department which provides Travel Advisories for countries around the world.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
While this is a tragic event, one event does not make a trend, even when it receives notice on national news. There are some areas more prone to violence, the waters off Columbia and Haiti come to mind, however the vast majority of the West Indies is pretty safe, unless you are a dinghy. [...] It pays to be cautious and to avoid areas where crime may be prevalent, just keep things in perspective and be wary of alarmist headlines. Noonsite is a good resource as is the US State Department which provides Travel Advisories for countries around the world.

Agreed. Then there is "being in the wrong place at the wrong time", which is sometimes almost unavoidable. The couple who were hijacked and murdered were not in a remote, dangerous anchorage. They were in the wrong place when three escaped felons were there.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There's nothing new or odd about the latest tragedy in the Eastern Caribbean yachting community. Reporting has definitely improved over the years, but since the governments of the EC nations have outlawed hanging, serious crimes, especially to visitors, have increased considerably.
I don't have the energy to list the myriad of such incidents that have happened since I began my circumnavigation in 1970 however, if you remember, even Joshua Slocumb had to come up with some pretty creative ways to keep intruders off his boat. But if you look at the overall numbers, since GPS entered the cruising sector, the numbers of those cruising around on yachts has increased many times more than crimes against cruisers.
Personally, I'd much prefer to take my chances of being a victim of a crime, rather than go back to the uncertainties of the weather and a good fix when I needed it, using celestial navigation.