Seeking Sailboat Recommendations for Lakeside Launch

May 6, 2022
Hunter 26 Driveway
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new sailboat and would love some recommendations from this knowledgeable community. Here's my situation:

- **Location:** I have a garage across the street from a 200-acre lake.
- **Boat Type:** I'm looking for a sailboat that can be launched with a hand-pull dolly or trailer.
- **Launch Conditions:** To reach the water, I need to traverse over 20 feet of rock before getting to a sandy beach. Photo attached.
- **Capacity:** The boat should comfortably accommodate at least two passengers.
- **Stability:** stability is more important to me than performance. Want to single-hand and teach children how to sail.
- **Mast/Rigging:** I need a boat with a mast and rigging that can be folded down quickly and easily, as it will be stored in my garage.

Considering these requirements, what makes and models would you recommend? Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This is a bit of a unique challenge that deserves a unique boat. How about this one.
1719883296048.png

Many features like pedal paddle, sail for 2, beach launch, stable and loads of fun.
It is called a Mirage Tandem Island

I have a cousin who bought one and it is the boat most used on the lake behind his house.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
The bigger the boat, the longer it takes to rig and de-rig. The longer it takes, the less you sail it. Plus you have what sounds like a challenging path to the water. Smaller is better. Something in the 12-15' range would do nicely. Maybe a Laser or something in that range?

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Sunfish or AMF Puffer are the first two that came to mind. Puffer is very stable and only a little heavier than a Sunfish and has a jib. The mast is 15-20’.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Look at Sol. It's basically a sunfish with a full cockpit.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'd go for a 420 over most of these boats as you're not going to get bored with it as easily. Much faster too. If possible, put some planks or strips of plywood on the rocks. The wheels of just about any dinghy cart are going to get hung up like crazy. I suspect you won't be sailing for long if it's too difficult. A small dock or mooring is another idea. I see them on Craigslist ever few weeks, often for very little money

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Your challenge isn't picking a boat.... it's getting over that bone yard to the water. That trek would be tough (re: dangerous) even with an air mattress and lunchbox!

Honestly, I'd look for a safer launch area, remember you still have to rig and de rig. So, your problem is solvable if you can find better access. All that's necessary is a boat you can store on a trailer that will fit in your garage.

Of course, there is one other option, order a truck load of gravel and one of sand to create your own safe pathway over those nasty rocks.:D

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Who owns the property under the jetty?
I wouldn't describe a Sunfish as comfortable or stabile. I would want something with seats and a gunnel. A single sail that can be lifted into place by one person. Possibly hard chinned for stability. I would suggest something with handholds which could be carried over the rocks but I fear that could result in a broken ankle.
I would consider the large number of designs that are for home building that are light, reasonably stabile and comfortable in sit in for a couple of hours. Maybe look at Wooden Boat Magazine Small Craft issue?
Or Chesapeake Light Craft | Boat Plans, Boat Kits, Boatbuilding Supplies, Boat Kit, Kayak Kit, Canoe Kit, Sailboat Kit