Seeking advice on fuel tanks

hunkel

Aug 20, 2008
Instead of sailing I'm stuck in the yard with dirty diesel. Last season the dirty fuel was pumped out and the tanks re-filled, so it’s looking as if the culprit is a leak in the keel or the centerboard trunk.

I’ve read through the history on fuel tanks, which was so helpful, and have spoken with Rick. What I’m thinking of having the yard do is to install two fuel tanks under the cockpit seats. VETUS’s11 gal tank fits, with room left over for storing the swim ladder and lines. I’m referring to these tanks as temporary, but if this works out I wouldn’t mind keeping them, and taking up the steel plates next winter just to check the keel bolts and centerboard trunk.

Anybody want to weigh in with opinions? I would appreciate hearing some. One concern is the keel bolts. When I had the hull dried out—that was in the last century--the keel bolts were pencil thin; I had them replaced with stainless. Has anybody encountered bolt problems? Another concern is whether the weight of the fuel, on the keel, is necessary for minimizing the leak, or whether I can have the diesel pumped out now. Anything else I should be thinking about? Thanks, Jan

Feb 13, 2007
I had 2 10 gallon plastic tanks installed in the space under the port and stanbord cockpit benches and they worked very well, but we missed the space and it was impossible to access the steering gear propshaft, stuffing box etc. My yard came up with the idea of installing a welded aluminum 20 gal tank a few feet aft of the engin mounts and forward of the steering gear. ($780 for the coast guard approved tank. ) This is working fine and is easy to access. The cost of inspecting and removing the tank above the keel --alone-- would be greated than the whole new tank. Also these tanks have a checkered history of accumulating a range of fuel-line blockers. Steve Robling 212 269 2003.

By the way i have a Zephyr, but the fuel tank and cockpit storage layout and steering gear have the same anatomy as a challenger.

hunkel

Aug 20, 2008
Steve-
Thanks for relating your experiences. I too am concerned about losing storage space and access to the engine. There is a good space, under both port and starboard cock pit seats, to secure off-the shelf tanks, and still provide for storage. The yard will confirm whether my choice of the Moeller 14 gal tanks and locations are indeed doable.

Do the Zephers have the same fuel tanks built into the hull and covered with steel plates? If so, any comments on a previous post--I don't recall the person--who thought the fuel weight minimizes the leak in the keel? My inclination is to have the dirty diesel pumped out now.

Thanks, Jan

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Jan. I would pump the fuel out. No way the weight will affect any leaking. I'm interested to know how you know the tank is leaking? If seawater is getting in through the hull/keel joint, that's bad of course because it will cause big problems with your diesel engine.

If on the other hand, the tanks are dirty from possibly and algae growth or something, they'll keep clogging the fuel filters.

I may have once posted that I get a diesel fuel stain at a spot on my hull/keel joint every winter as the boat sits on the hard. It's a minor thing and having spoken to the last yard, it has always been that way. If the hull is blocked aft of the lead keel, the stain is smaller I've found. Hmmm,....

So far, no water is getting in the tank as I check the seperator regularly.

I'm interested in what you do as I'm still on the original tanks but often wonder if a problem is down the road. Niels H reccommended tanks be fabricated to fit in the space. While the fuel down low is helpful for weight, the tank lids were also figured into the stability equation I think. This course would be the most expensive (isn't it always) I often wonder if someone has searched well for a standard saddle tank that could fit the spaces?

I do know the storage space in the lockers is dear. I would do what you're planning while planning to pull the tank lids next off season.

Apr 7, 2006
When we bought Muskrat she had custom tanks made that fit in the 2 aft fuel tanks- some where on the site i posted the address and phone # of the outfit that built them. Capacity is only about 20 gal but we could do the same for the forward tanks and double that if we needed to. I'll see if the info on the manufacturer is still readable on the tank top.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That would be good to know Jon. I think I once saw some photos of tank fit to the space but they could have left this website. Do you mean the two tanks you have in the aft spaces now equal 20 gallons total, or for each?

I would think the installation by a yard would at least equal the cost of having the tanks made, don't you think?

Also, were the steel plate replaced over your new tanks?

hunkel

Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered two Moeller 14 gal tanks (130$ each) and will have the yard install them under the cockpit seats. They can be snugged up in a space that isn't usable, and this minimizes their intrusion. Of course it is expensive to have the yard do this work, but she won't go in if I try to do all of it. The exchange rate on land to marine dollars is never very good. Guess we should go off-shore for yard work.

I had the fuel pumped out and the yard said the bottom of the tank felt mushy, as in sludge. I think Rick had mentioned there was a foot of sludge in the bottom of his tanks. At some point--this summer if I find some extra time, which is unlikely--I'll pull the plates off. Or next winter I'll once again put this on my to-do list for the yard to take care of. I do want to check the keel bolts and centerboard. At that time I'll re-assess whether to have tanks made. I can see some advantages in being able to inspect the keel and centerboard without the hassle of pumping out fuel and removing the plates.

Thanks again for the ideas. This has been very helpful. Jan