Seeking a Spinnaker Pole Car for a 1987 Beneteau Oceanis 381

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Friend has a Beneteau 381 and she wants to mount he spinnaker pole to her mast to get it off the deck. The mast has this nice aluminum formed channel on the front where you can put the pole car (does not need a track). It appears the product has not been made in a while. Thoughts on what she can do?

Sep 29, 2008
Yes, she is looking for vertical storage on the mast. The big issue is her mast has a built in track and if she can find the correct fittings it looks like there would be no drilling, just get the cars that mount on this track and go to town.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The link you provided says they will order one for you.

Sep 29, 2008
Unfortunately, after contacting them they responded "Yes the cars for this are no longer available. They would need to add 1”-1/4 T track on the mast." Not quite as elegant as the original design. :confused:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yes, she is looking for vertical storage on the mast. The big issue is her mast has a built in track and if she can find the correct fittings it looks like there would be no drilling, just get the cars that mount on this track and go to town.
Did you read the article I linked in my previous post? That should answer your question. But whatever you find, you need to verify its adequate for storage.
I've heard positive comments from folks that use the rubber chocks on the mast. The article also suggests to have the deck chock system in place should you get in heavy weather... much more secure.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Did you read the article I linked in my previous post? That should answer your question. But whatever you find, you need to verify its adequate for storage.
I've heard positive comments from folks that use the rubber chocks on the mast. The article also suggests to have the deck chock system in place should you get in heavy weather... much more secure.
Joe, I did look at the article. Good ideas in there, but she was hoping to just get those fittings. I have the rubber chocks on my stanchions and they are great and I suggested that.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe, I did look at the article. Good ideas in there, but she was hoping to just get those fittings. I have the rubber chocks on my stanchions and they are great and I suggested that.
I guess my point was that even if you find the mysterious part, it may not be suitable for vertical storage. That's what the article emphasized. It's a moving car designed for optimizing the pole's position during a sailing event, but perhaps totally impractical for what she wants to use it for...i.e. upright storage. Okay. I've said my piece. Tell her good luck.+