Securing the mast at the base

Mskidk

Aug 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Dunkirk Ny
When I stepped the mast I slid the metal rod that was internal at the base of the mast into the groove of the receiver. I secured the shrouds and the mast is stable. Other people have a bolt with a wing nut securing the mast, my boat does not have that option. At least I do not think it does. The manual that I found does not describe the base the same way as it exists on my boat and the previous owner had no insight on setting up the mast. It is a 1975 Catalina 22. Is the mast secure or is
there some other hardware that is required. Thanks!
IMG_4104.jpg
IMG_4105.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg

Jun 17, 2017
Com-Pac Eclipse Pensacola, FL
Looks good to me. I have a newer Catalina 22 (1994) that has a bolt through the mast step at the base of the mast. From the pictures of your boat, the rod at the base of the mast appears to slide into the slots on either side of the mast step which keeps the mast in place.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
That looks very much like a GOOD mod by some PO, by the way it is machined, etc. I like it, trying to get the bolt in with the CD version can be a PITA as pictured below on our '84. It's your stays and shrounds that hold the whole rig together, the bolt (or pin in your case) just keeps the mast positioned properly.

(I'd get after the cracks and patches in the surrounding area sooner rather than later, that would be high on my list, as well as checking your chainplates.)

You're in a great area, grew up in WNY, folks retired in Lakeview/Angola area....Go Sailing b4 it snows!

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
That looks very much like a GOOD mod by some PO, by the way it is machined, etc. I like it...
:plus: That looks like a great idea. It may never climb to the top of my list, but I'd sure take it over the bold-through-the-mast system if a PO had done it for me.