Seaworthy Ship? Ericson 25+

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Ericson 25+ Port Washington, N.Y.
Is the Ericson 25+ Seaworthy to be in the ocean? My new one, which is actually an 81' in great shape, is the full fin keel and not the trailerable one. I still can't really figure out the capsize rating because although the beam is 9'3", I don' know what the beam is at the water line! Anyone out there know the beam at water line? It seems like a stout ship, no bending at all on the deck or hull, and I'm wondering if it's really well built to deal with the ocean? Any knowledge would really help. My name is Richard, I used to race 420's years ago, and sail a pearson 35 many years ago too. I just haven't sailed for awhile and I guess I need some reassurance from others, even though I feel the boat seems pretty tough! Thanks, I'm waiting for information from old salts!

Attachments

Apr 11, 2006
- - corpus christi, tx
ERICSON 25 SPECS

LOA 25' 5", LWL 21'10", Beam 9'3", Draft 4'11"(std)/3'11"(shoal), Displacment 5,000 lbs, Ballast 2,000 lbs, Sail area 341 sq.ft. 25' is well finished and offers enough performance for racing. Bruce King design. Hull is solid hand layup. Molded fiberglass body pan is glassed to the inside of the hull, forming base for interior furniture and adding rigidity to hull. Deck, cockpit, and cabin trunk molding balsa cored, with plywood core under high stress areas, mast, and deck hardware. Exterior glass work is good quality, Gelcoat work is good. Deck has solid feel due to cored construction.Deck hardware - stanchions, pulpits, cleats, and winches have adequate aluminum bearing plates. Design of the mast step to facilitate raising and lowering has greatly reduced bearing surface of the mast heel. Shroud chainplates are strongly tied to the hull. Navtec chainplates, shroud terminals and turnbuckles. No main boom topping lift. Few boats of this size are used for long-distance cruising. The yanmar single cylinder diesel engine with a four knot cruising speed and fuel consumption of 1/4 gallon per hour could go 350 miles on the standard 20 gal aluminum tank. Small foredeck anchor well, no bow chocks. Single cockpit scupper 1 1/2" diam. recessed in a well at the back of the cockpit. For rough weather positive companionway locks will be necessary.Comfortable boat for extended coastal cruising for a couple. This is some info from one of my books, when they say coastal cruiser, its like a step back from ocean cruiser, or blue water cruiser. One other thing, the thru hulls are zytel valves, a reinforced plastic. Most have double clamped hoses, but the icebox drain has a single clamp. Plastic is immune to electrolysis, but cannot be overlooked.

Jun 14, 2004
Ericson 29 Biddeford, ME
Ericson 29 Around the World

For what it is worth check out the attached link about a group attempting to circumnavigate around the world on a 29. So far they have gone nearly 9000 miles and are in the South Pacific. Longest run was 3000 miles from Galapagos to Marqueses. I have a 1971 E29 and while I don't know if I would take it on a trip like that it is more a question of my experience than the ship. Everything I have heard is Ericson's are stoutly built and good sailors. If the boat is setup for offshore sailing with all of the appropriate enhancements and the skipper has the appropriate experience it seems to me like a good craft. I have not done it yet but plan on trying mine out for an overnight passage from Portland Maine to Cape Cod. Seems like a good short cruise to test out the boats capabilities. As for the beam at Waterline a figure I got from Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook is to reduce the deck beam by 9%. This is a good enough estimation he feels for most purposes. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Richard, From Port Washington you don't have

very far to travel to reach the sound and if you and the boat can handle that then the open water of the ocean will be safer. The most dangerous places are the thin spots around the edges.

V

vinnividdividdi

Thanks!

Thanks very much for everyone's contribution! I'll really examine the hoses too, just to be sure. Also, I'll try the 9% for the beam at water line too. Just wanted to say thanks for the help! Richard

Jun 14, 2004
Ericson 29 Biddeford, ME
Waterline Beam

Very Minor adjustment, calculate the beam at waterline as 90% of deck beam. 10% off versus 9%. Sorry

M

Mark

E25+

Looks like the capsize ratio is 2.16 acording to this (wonderful) site. http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

May 24, 2004
Ericson E-23 Smith Mt. Lake
25+ Review

Practical Sailor did a review of the 25+ which is included in their two-volume set Practical Boat Buying. They really liked the E25+ and I think that when compared to the other mass produced 25s of its era it comes out way ahead. Not many 25 foot boats are intended for blue water, but the E25+ is a decent coastal cruiser with very good build integrity, very good room below for a 25, and good performance for its era. One thing to look at: the forestay bow strap has been known to develop cracks on the inside of the bend, and it is very hard to check without removing it. However, that might be worth the trouble, as it is a critical component of the rig.

R

Richard

Still wondering......

After looking at the boat again, I noticed that the waterline width, beam, is not the same as above it, the actual beam told by the stats. Since the beam is actually about 5-6 inches shorter on each side would the capzize ratio be better than I had hoped? Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.