Sea Trial - Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I was at the boat for an early morning sea trial, before breakfast even, since I couldn't wait to see if I could clear the last hurdle of the refit.

I had two inches of pitch added to the prop while it was reconditioned over the winter. The engine always turned right up to it's maximum (1 hour rating) rpm and felt like it was being limited by the governor instead of the prop load. H & H's computer agreed with my calculations so is should be right but it would be pretty embarrassing for a blogging naval architect to have to report that his trip was being delayed because he put too much pitch in his wheel.

I instantly noticed a lot more maneuvering authority. Backing out against the prop walk and turning in the narrow slip right next to a brand new and expensive little electric launch for sale was much easier. Put the engine in gear at shifting RPM and there is a big wash under the stern which moves it decisively. No need to bring the RPM up with the throttle.

The downside will be trying to creep through places like marinas. Minimum speed has gone up about a knot so I have to take her out of gear occasionally.

Once in the main channel, I gradually opened her up. The nervousness was about starting to see the RPM top out low and black smoke appearing at the transom too soon which would mean and expensive delay.

The engine turned right up to within 100 RPM of max and now feels like the prop is holding it back. No black smoke but heavier light gray smoke. Very clean exhaust at cruising speed. The shaking I used to get at 700-900 rpm is reduced, probably because there is a bit more load on the engine.

Best of all, the engine now feels like the little tractor engine it is. There is a reassuring solidity in it's sound. It's a happy camper.

I'll miss that finer pitch a bit when I'm bucking into strong winds and head seas but I think that will be a good trade off for better range and engine loading in typical cruising conditions.

The boat could be ready to leave by this evening. It's just the shore stuff and provisioning that's keeping me here now.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Happy to hear it Roger! Started on mine in 1999. Finally left Lake Erie in 2007! I will kick myself everyday for the rest of my life for waiting until everything was "just right".

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Happy to hear this, Roger! Going to be following your trip on the SPOT .. Quite an adventure for you is in the making !

Jun 3, 2004
'79 Hunter 33' HUN33190M79L Olympia
So what is the final size and pitch of the prop? My buddy has your exact boat and motor and is putting on a new prop.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
So what is the final size and pitch of the prop? My buddy has your exact boat and motor and is putting on a new prop.
It was a 16 x 12 RH 2 blade which they repitched into a 16 x 14. If he goes with that prop, he shouldn't operate above 2600 except for short periods to blow out the exhaust elbow after long periods of running below about 2400.

Status
Not open for further replies.