Sea-Fire system

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 36 Northeast, MD
like most larger Hunters, our 2008 H36 has an engine room fire system. Anyone know where the control module is typically located? Don't see it anywhere in the engine spaces. Haven't pull the Yanmar control panel, that's my next move, but away from the boat.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Hunter 36 Bayport Yachting Center
I'm not sure where it is either. I need to keep mine on bypass since it seems to kills the engine when I don't. I think this is the point when there's a fire butnot supposed to happen when there isn't one. My marine mechanic said that the system uses a chemical that is no longer legal in Canada so difficult and very expensive to get parts to repair it.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Manual for the sea fire system is located here:

Wiring diagram of engine control panel would seem to indicate the module or panel you looking for would be mounted in fairly close proximity to the control panel. Have you looked behind it?

From the wiring schematic located below (p16) it appears the “shutdown box” is located within a maximum of 6’ of the ignition switch.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-co...z-service manual/h36 Service Manual022908.pdf

wiring diagram for the ignition switch/panel below.

The device that sends the signal from the fire extinguisher pressure tank to “engine interrupt panel” aka “shutdown box” is a basic 2 wire pressure switch wired in to a fitting mounted at the top of the extinguisher tank.

Interrupt panel should look something like those shown in the link below.

While the chemical used in the older systems is banned, the manufacturer did come up with a replacement/alternative. - linked below. Still quite pricy I believe.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If your system uses Halon you should get rid of the halon ASAP.
Halon can cause suffocation by displacing oxygen and thereby reducing its availability. Effects from inhalation may include mild CNS (central nervous system) effects such as dizziness, impaired coordination, lightheadedness, nausea and increased or irregular heart rate.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
The older bottles ended up with corrading head valves, leaking all the gas out slowly. I replaced my bottle 3 years ago with the new bottle. It was a couple hundred bucks but worth the peace of mind. On out 41 the control box is mounted very high in the back starboard locker near the Yanmar instruments.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
“dizziness, impaired coordination, lightheadedness, nausea and increased or irregular heart rate.”

Sounds like a good night in the BVIs

• Ha

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
The control box on our ‘08 h36 appears to be sitting on a shelf a few above and behind the holding tank. I‘ve had the instrument panel out but don’t recall being able to see below. I’m told that I need to remove the “bucket” from the propane locker to access the box. The bucket looks like it has been put in place with 4200 or the like. Haven’t tried removal yet. My bottle now shows above the max pressure!!!