Scupper for 25 Oday

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy

Has anyone replaced the cockpit scupper on a 25'? Mine is broken around the opening at both ends.

D

Don

Scupper?

Randy, I'm a bit confused by your description. On my 25, the drain, is a recessed well at the extreme end of the cockpit floor. Its an integral part of the floor. Below decks there is a neck on the drain that is attached with a "rad" type hose to the drain throughull on the transom. Perhaps O'Day changed the design of their cockpit drain. What part of this scupper is broken? Don

R

Randy

Scupper II

Hi, Don. I think they did improve the design at some point. My throughhull is down in that trough, but it's not just finished fiberglass. There's a plastic tube that lines the hole through the transom. This plastic is broken around the openings. I'm not sure if its permanently "cemented" in there or if it screws apart somehow. Probably the former. When they built the boat they didn't think too much about the owner twenty years down the way. Otherwise I wouldn't be trying figure out the best way to remove my old hull liner and all that rotting foam backing that's glued to the hull! --Randy

D

Don

Scuppered

Randy, have you crawled to the back of the lazerette? You should get a better idea from the back of the cockpit floor pan. There is a drain tube between it and the transom throughull, about 6". I could not figure where my bilge water was coming from until I found that the connecting tube was rotted out and most of the cockpit water was leaking through the rotted tube and into my bilge. I went to the auto store and got a "rad" hose bent in about the right shape to join the 2 throughulls. The cockpit floor throughull is about 3" higher than the transom throughull. You can probably get a better idea of what needs replacing from the backside. Don

R

Randy

One more for the scupper

Oh, I see! Your drain is at the bottom of the "trough" so the water drains down below the cockpit sole and then out the back. Mine doesn't do that. My hole (or should I say my boat's?) is in the trough but not on the horizontal. It is actually on the transom surface itself (vertical) draining straight back through the interior transom wall and out the back, so it's a whole different deal. As you might imagine, a bit of water is always sitting in the trough below the scupper. Turns a nice green color. I will get below the cockpit, though, and see what I can discover. Thanks

D

Don

Scuppered again

I guess I did not make myself clear. I have exactly what you described. The drain hole is on the vertical, and a little water is always left. This is not the transom though, as you will see when you get your head back there, it is a false transom. There is about 6" between the cockpit floor wall and the actual transom. Do check it out and tell me if I'm wrong 8^) Don

J

Justin - o'day Owner's Web

Local 25 has hole directly through transom

Guys, I looked at a local 25 in a yard near by earlier. I couldn't get onto it from the ground, but it looked like the scupper was a simple passage running horizontally through the transom. Randy - I would look in the plumbing aisle at your favorite marine store. They ought to have something that will let you mock up a new scupper. Then carefully pry out the old pieces, fit the new ones, and 5200 the thing. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

D

Don Evans

One Last Time

Randy, Perko makes a replacement for these. I see them in the West Marine Catalogue, under cockpit drains. They are a simple snap together affair. Sorry Justin, but I would not 5200 it. Getting that sucker out again if it fails could really mess up that floor area, its a difficult area to access, and does not have to be a watertight fit, like on a below the waterline throughull. As I mentioned the 2 drains are connected by rad type hose, about 6" in length, in a sort of S shape, with the cockpit floor drain end being about 2" higher than the transom end. Don

P

Paul Mieszczenski

RANY'S ROTTING FOAM

Randy, I had the same problem with my '77, 25. I finally bought a circular wire brush that screwed onto my Craftsman grinder and spent three of the nastiest hours of my life power brushing the entire cabin interior. It was the worst job of a complete below deck rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.