Screws securing cabin sole

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
One of the screws holding down my cabin sole has broken and the sole is lifting up. Starboard side corner section just aft of the bilge area. That corner lifts up.

So I thought I would take out the entire starboard side sole and see if I can remove that broken screw. But already stripped two of the screw heads on the remaining screws so don't think that is going to happen.

The sole will push down flat/level but need a screw to hold it down. Anyone see an issue if I drill a second hole and put in a new screw in that corner very close to the original (broken) screw? Looks like that screw goes into a bulkhead/stringer (not sure what those fiberglass cross braces are called).

Appreciate any thoughts/comments/advice/feedback.

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
The screw has broken into two pieces. The head is still in the sole...and it is stripped and I cannot remove it. The bottom piece is flush with the underlaying fiberglass and I can't get to it unless I remove the entire sole...which I am unable to do.

How does this extractor thing work? Attaches to a drill and then "extract" (drill) out the screw? And those extractors look too big...even the small one. I will check with a few of my boating buddies and see if any of them have anything like that.

Thanks,
Jim

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You start by drilling a small hole in the stripped or broken screw and then you use that tool to extract it. I definitely have one small enough to use in those screws. I just linked to a kit on amazon. I didn't look at the sizes. If you look around you should find one small enough. I bought mine from harbor freight.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The screw has broken into two pieces. The head is still in the sole...and it is stripped and I cannot remove it. The bottom piece is flush with the underlaying fiberglass and I can't get to it unless I remove the entire sole...which I am unable to do.

How does this extractor thing work? Attaches to a drill and then "extract" (drill) out the screw? And those extractors look too big...even the small one. I will check with a few of my boating buddies and see if any of them have anything like that.

Thanks,
Jim
The extractor requires that you drill a centered hole into the broken screw (a difficult task in stainless), then the extractor screws counterclockwise into the hole you've made.
Further tightening counterclockwise will (should) extract the broken fastener.

You may be better off drilling off the rest of the fasteners' heads, removing the sole, then using vise-grips on the exposed shanks.

Good luck.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree with jsg. I've not had good experiences with "Easy Outs" - an oxymoron statement if I ever heard one (like "qualified diesel mechanics":)).

Sometimes carefully drilling out the old one, even if it means needing a larger replacement screw, is a LOT easier than trying to center the Easy Out dirlling in the darned center of a small screw.

They usually go into a lip in the fiberglass below, unless yours is in a specific location that I don't quite understand.

Good luck.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Doubling Down - Those Screws Suck

They look like drywall screws as they rust and they are very small and snap off when you try and unscrew them. :cussing: Perhaps soaking in penetrating oil may loosen it, but I suspect it is so small you will just mangle it. :evil: My bad advice would be to use duck tape to hold the board down, but in truth I got nothing. :confused: