Screen Glue for Gray Portlights

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 36 Seattle
I have a 36 with all opening Gray Ports. I've even ordered some replacement parts for them on this very site.

What I don't know is what type of glue to use for adhering screen mesh to the screen frames. Hard to say what kind of glue was used originally but it was non flexible and waterproof. Methodology would be helpful as well. The screen material merely gets glues to one side of a flat frame with no mechanical hold at all, so I want to do it right.

Thanks!

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Frankly, the quality of those screens is embarrassing, PM me for my take on them.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Simple to repair if screen is plastic material. Get can of PVC cement (plumbing type). Scrape off old glue from the frame. Use the brush to apply cement right on top of screen where it lays on the plastic frame. In a few minutes it will set up and you are good to go. If the screen is the old metal type just buy some plastic screen at the hardware store and cut to fit. Easy.

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 36 Seattle
Simple to repair if screen is plastic material. Get can of PVC cement (plumbing type). Scrape off old glue from the frame. Use the brush to apply cement right on top of screen where it lays on the plastic frame. In a few minutes it will set up and you are good to go. If the screen is the old metal type just buy some plastic screen at the hardware store and cut to fit. Easy.
Perfect! Thanks. Currently the ones that have any screen have the plastic kind but they are falling off and I'm just going to replace all of them.This is exactly what I'm looking for. I think I even have some pvc cement if it's still fresh.

Thanks!