SB8 transmission emulsified oil

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
Went to change trans fluid today in this new to me hunter 27 and oil was completely filled to brim with emulsified oil. way over the .5 liters than manual states. There was a fresh water flood while the boat was dry docked according to previous owner. So I assume water got in from that but from the oil fill screw cap? The transmission isn't fresh water cooled is it? So far I pumped emulsified oil out it's super thick sludge. Should I flush with anything particular or just do a few oil changes? Any input would be great.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
mayonnaise..
It is not water cooled nor or there water connections on the gearbox. Water must have been at or a little above the shaft and it leaked in through the shaft seal. Ya probably OK if ya do a couple of changes but feel/look for a low point drain so you can drain the sump .. If you want to flush it, get some Marvel Mystery Oil and put a liter or a bit less in and run the engine but don't put it in gear.. That will stir everything without loading the bearings.. One flush and one change with the correct oil should do it.. monitor the oil condition for the next few hours of loaded run time.. Good luck with it

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
I soaked with marvel extracted about liter of marvel out of the bottom of the trans resvoir and did a stick test with gasoila a water finding paste in the reservoir and didn't get any color change. I then tested a control sample of oil with water and got color. looks like marvel worked thanks Kloudie I am going to soak until tomorrow and then pump and refill with oil and monitor for water.

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
Is it a bad idea to engage the transmission forward and reverse while dry docked to see if it will actually engage gear for a few seconds? Should I wet down shaft?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Is it a bad idea to engage the transmission forward and reverse while dry docked to see if it will actually engage gear for a few seconds? Should I wet down shaft?
You mean after you fill with tranny fluid? Or with the Marvel Mystery oil in it?

dj

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The dipstick/fill cap has a vent hole in it. If that was underwater, likely that's how the water got in. Hopefully it wasn't in there long enough to cause corrosion damage, and a couple oil changes should fix it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Make sure you are tied up really well, and make sure you have Refilled the tranny with the right amount of the appropriate fluid...and you should be ok.

Greg

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Do you mean "dry docked" as hauled out and on a trailer or stand? IE out of the water. If so the bigger problem is water to your engine and to the water pump impeller turning without water to cool and lubricate it. I'm just not sure what you mean by "dry docked". That's not a term we normally use except for big ships.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Do you mean "dry docked" as hauled out and on a trailer or stand? IE out of the water. If so the bigger problem is water to your engine and to the water pump impeller turning without water to cool and lubricate it. I'm just not sure what you mean by "dry docked". That's not a term we normally use except for big ships.
Plus, if you are running it in gear out of the water you don't want to shred your cutless bearing, which relies on water to lubricate it.

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
Yes, the boat is on stands there has been no water intrusion into engine only trans the marvel mystery oil is still soaking in transmission. Maryland Governor shut down marina so I can no longer work on my boat anyways. I was aware of cutlass bearing that's why I asked if I should wet shaft in original post and only engage for a second. When the shelter in place restrictions were lifted I didn't want to launch to find out she wouldn't go into gear. I rather have engine and trans pulled sooner than later.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
As the prop is just spinning in air, there will not be loading of any significant amount on your Cutlass bearing unless your prop is really off balance. If that is the case you should feel vibrations when you turn it on. I run my engine in both forward and reverse every spring prior to launch checking that everything is running correctly before dropping in the water.

I pull the hose from the water pump off the thru hull and drop it into a pan of water. This also allows me to see that the water pump system is also working prior to launch. I feed the pan with a water hose as I'm usually alone and will be climbing in and out of the boat checking water in/water out/prop spin in forward and reverse. It always amazes me just how much water is pumped through the engine while running.

I've never had a problem with the Cutlass bearing.

dj

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
Engine runs haven't tried under a real load. When the yard permits I will get back down to the boat and try forward and reverse briefly. Thank you all for your input hopefully you don't hear from on this topic again unless if transmission is bad.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You can check if it goes into gear with the engine stopped by clicking it into forward and turning the coupling by hand. It should turn with a little drag one way and a lot of drag the other way. It normally will not lock up unless the engine is running because the cone clutch will not fully lock.. Do the same in reverse with the engine off and you should feel similar drag.. Please be sure to pull the engine stop/ fully close the throttle before messing with the coupling.. remember that a diesel can pop over with no switches on..
If you can immerse the water pump suction hose in a bucket of water, you can run it while out of the water but only until the water in the bucket is pumped out and a boatyard neighbor starts complaining about the water being pumped out the exhaust..
If you do run the engine in the yard, be really sure that the boat stands are positioned correctly and are chained together so the engine vibration won't pop one out and drop the boat on her side. Not a good idea to run it in the yard..
Good luck an stay healthy!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
If you do run the engine in the yard, be really sure that the boat stands are positioned correctly and are chained together so the engine vibration won't pop one out and drop the boat on her side. Not a good idea to run it in the yard..
Good luck an stay healthy!
Good point - my boat is on a cradle, so I don't have to worry about that, but if your boat is on stands - definitely take @kloudie1 comments seriously.

dj