SANTANA 23?

Aug 28, 2023
Santana? 2023, A PORT TOWNSEND, WA
I have the opportunity to buy a Santana 2023, type "A", built in 1993. Asking price, $7000. The condition is really good, visually, and has been trailer sailed it's whole life. It seems like a really good boat, however, I can't seem to find much info about these. It's water ballasted and the previous owner preemptively fiberglassed the ballast tank. Current owner does not have history regarding the maintenance of standing rigging. Again, it looks good, but it "could" be 30 years old! Likewise, I have no info on any maintenance done for the swing keel mechanism. Is it serviceable without major work? I can't seem to find any diagrams on the boat. Does anyone have info on these boats? I surely appreciate any input!

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't understand what
... preemptively fiberglassed the ballast tank.
means.

Did he glass the tank valve while it was full of water? Did he fill it with something else?

Aug 28, 2023
I don't understand what

means.

Did he glass the tank valve while it was full of water? Did he fill it with something else?
No, apparently in '96, the word got out that this boat had a problem with marine plywood surrounding the water ballast. Many owners decided to glass the ballast in order to get ahead of that problem. The previous owner lined that ballast tank with glass. I've opened the tank and it is clean, dry, and does not smell at all. I plan on trailering only.....not mooring it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Don't know about tanks but it looks like a fun little rocket ship! The Santana line is known for good performance. $7,000 seems a little high for a 20 year old 23' boat. The sails better be good and trailer included.

That link to Practical sailor led to a lockup of my computer!!!! I have a message from "Apple Support" not to use my computer. A number is given to call support. Likely a scam but I can't stop the message loop.

• Wow

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
That link to Practical sailor led to a lockup of my computer!!!! I have a message from "Apple Support" not to use my computer. A number is given to call support. Likely a scam but I can't stop the message loop.
Sounds like you have a virus. Practical Sailor is a well known magazine.

Aug 28, 2023
Don't know about tanks but it looks like a fun little rocket ship! The Santana line is known for good performance. $7,000 seems a little high for a 20 year old 23' boat. The sails better be good and trailer included.

Yeah, think there are too many negatives, sails are original.....ok but not great. The water ballast thing has us spooked, and the standing rigging too. I agree, all that said, 7K is too much, and we might even find it's way too high, way too late!! So we are out.
Hope you get the link thing figured out. That's strange!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Closed the page despite the dire warning then opened a chat with Apple. That led to downloading Malwarebytes and a scan that found no viruses or malware. My laptop is working fine. I don't know what that was all about but I assume it was un-Holy.

• Wow