Sanitary Pipe Routing - Tartan 4100

Apr 8, 2023
Tartan 4100 Midland
Good day all,

I’m new to forum and hopeful to find somebody with some familiarity with the Tartan 4100. I just had a pre-purchase survey done on a 1997 model 4100. The current owner replaced the 20 gal holding tank with a new 50 gal poly tank. The piping from the head to the tank and to overboard is a bit wonky, so I’m wondering if others here have some knowledge about the way it might have been set up from the factory. I’ll describe what I saw and am concerned about:

From the toilet, a 1 1/2” white sanitary hose goes out of the head towards midline, sweeps towards aft under the master quarter berth traveling level for about 48” then turns towards starboard to enter the starboard cockpit locker. From there it travels a bit forward and upwards toward the deck to connect to the y-valve with an anti-siphon loop just under deck level. From the Y-valve, one pipe head further starboard into the tank top, and another (black) sanitary hose goes back down to a thru-hull discharge (under the quarter berth).

My concern is that the white plastic hose from the head is lying almost dead flat for about 4 feet under the quarter berth before traveling up towards the tank, and unless I plan on pumping a lot of water to clear that pipe, will usually be full of effluent.

I would have thought a better routing would be from the head directly aft into the cockpit locker, and then rise up immediately to a y-valve and into the tank. Does anybody know how hose routing from the factory was set up. The Seller is telling me he essentially recreated what was originally there, but I’m concerned about the arrangement. My surveyor isn’t providing much help on this issue. Thanks for your help.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Welcome to sbo.com!

I'd say that"wonky" is a major understatement...There HAS to be a better way to plumb your system! Never mind how the factory may have done it...boat builders are the WORST sanitation system designers (there never is any actual design)/plumbers on the planet...the seller might actually have recreated their plumbing!

I'll be glad help you sort out the right way to do it.

I'm guessing that the toilet and tank are on opposite sides of the boat.... Can you post a sketch showing the location of the head (or heads if there's more than one) and the tank, indicating the straight line (which may not be possible) distance to it from each toilet?
Oh..btw...will you be cruising in salt water or an inland lake?

--Peggie

Apr 8, 2023
Tartan 4100 Midland
Hi Peggy,

I've put together a sketch, attached. It is only partial, as there are some elements I was not able to see given the limited time and trying to work around the surveyor (who was occupying much of the cockpit locker at the time). I also don't believe there was an anti-siphon loop on the FW intake pipe to the toilet.
The boat will be in Lake Huron. There is only the single head on board, and the tank is directly behind the toilet on the forward bulkhead of the cockpit locker.
While the best solution may not come with the partial information I can provide at this point, the piping from toilet to tank seemed very long, flat and poorly located. I'm told the holding tank refit was done in 2018, which would also include the white sanitary hose.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. While I don't see this as a deal breaker, I am concerned and wondering if it should be a point of negotiation, or if this sort of thing is just the way things generally are.
- J

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
No it is not the way things generally are but from your drawing it looks fixable and I'll be glad to help you sort out how to do do it...and yes, it should be a point of negotiation...how much of one depends on what is required to turn it into something that makes sense.
I'm sending you a PM (private message) that includes my email address...please reply to it via email (so much easier than PMs!).

Peggie