sandblast the keel only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary

I am hauling my H34 and thought I would have the keel sandblasted. It has some bad rust spots appearing on it and thought this would be the best way to clean it up. Is this the best way to go and if is what do I put back on to seal it?

G

Gary A

Good Question

Hi Gary, Thanks for your questions ... I have been following some of your posts because it seems like you are working through some of the same problems I have been having with my 1983 H34. Did you ever get the information you needed about a prop replacement? I just changed mine out and I love it. Gary

S

Scott

Just had mine done

They sand blasted it and then put a barrier paint on it then bottom paint on top of that. looked great when they were putting it back in the water. I hope to check it out while I'm hanging at the island this weekend to see how good it still looks. scott

J

John Wendt

sandblast keel

Hey Gary, I also have an '83 H34 and had my bottom and keel done last Sept. Merril Stevens Boatyard on the Miami River did the job. (very good reputation) They sandblasted the iron keel and sealed it with a sealer called "Black Mastic" They swear by it. I'll see how it looks next year. Alot less then going the epoxy seal route.

T

Ted W.

Similar

Hey Gary, Another input: I used paint stripper & scraped the iron keel on my 83 H34.... then applied 3 coats of a product called "Rustlok Primer" (available at WestMarine).... a urethane... then bottom paint on top of that... more labor/time intensive on my part, but less costly.... like the other posters here, will have to wait & see how this holds up!....

G

Gary

Gary A. Responce

Yes I did. I am going with a standard 3 blade. A 16x11 Fixed prop. Nothing fancy just a prop that will hopefully do the job. My e-mail address is garybittner1@aol.com if you have any other good info for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.