San Juan Islands - anchorages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Young

We will be heading up to the San Juan Islands this weekend (along with the rest of the boating population of the Pacific Northwest). I have never sailed there before and am interested in hearing what are your recommended anchorages. I was looking at one of the bays (Garrison?) by Roche Harbor for one night, but need a second anchorage for another night - maybe a small island. Any suggestions?

M

Michael McCann

San Jaun's

Dave; Did you not read the responses to your first post on this subject? If you would like you may call me, I'm in the book. Mike

B

Bruce

San Juan Islands

David: A near-by harbor on the South Shore of Stuart Island - about 1-hour sail from Roach Harbor offers excellent anchorage, Washington State Park mooring bouys, great shore trails with a hike to the lighthouse overlooking Canadian waters and islands. If you are to be in Garrison Bay, a special invitation is made by myself (380 Hunter "Journey") and the members of Bellingham's Squalicum Yacht Club on Saturday

J

Jim

Gulf Islands

Try the Gulf Islands on the west side of Vancouver Island. They are not as crowded and the dollar goes further. Once you check in with customs head up to Ganges on Salt Spring Island for supplies.

J

Jim

Parks bay

A good place is Parks Bay,on Shaw Island. It's right across from Friday Harbor,If it's clear you get good sunsets. If you get to far north it will be a long run back and check the tides. Also Spencers Spit on the east side of Lopez Island, the crabbing is good on the south side of the spit.

D

Dave Young

Weekend in San Juan Islands

We had a great sail over Labor Day in the San Juan Islands. THis was my first (of many to come) sailes to the area. Thanks everyone for your suggestions - sorry we did not make it to Garrison on Sunday to meet the fleet from Bellingham. Thursday night I sailed solo from BI to Edmonds avoiding the rash of tugs and barges, and occasional freighter that passes through at midnight. At Edmonds, I picked up the 2nd quarter of the crew and continued on to Port Ludlow where we anchored and got a few hours of sleep. Friday morning the other half of the crew arrived and we headed north. First encounter was with one of those nuclear missle submarines waiting to get into port - they're big - gave him plenty of sea room! By the afternoon we had motored/sailed from Port Ludlow to San Juan Island and found ourselves in range of a pod of Orca whales, did a bit of salmon fishing, and then wound our way to the anchorage at Stuart Island for a very pleasant evening. Saturday was WINDY! We saw another H460 heading north past Friday Harbor as we were headed in to rent some minibikes. After the minibike tour, we sailed off the dock at Friday Harbor with nearly an hour of wing-on-wing towards the next anchorage on Lopez at Spencer's Spit. Exciting time at the Spit as we had the bolt rope come out of the bottom of the furling track on the main - with an audience at the anchorage, we had the main down, fixed and back up within about 20 minutes. This was the first real problem we've had with the furling main. Sunday was an easy sail/motor-sail back to Bainbridge. Great boat. Great weekend. Thanks Hunter and Thanks HOW contributors, esp. Mike, Jim and Bruce!

B

Bob F

San Juan Guide

Check out "GUNKHOLING IN SAN JUANS" This Book gives great info on the areas. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.