Sailor Wish

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

What is the standard wish given to sailors? Is it "Wishing You Fair Winds and Calm Seas"? Or do have I the words out of order, etc. Thanks, Dave

R

R.W.Landau

I wish you spring

This is the nicest thing someone could say to me right now and probably any any other sailor living in hard water areas right now. wish you spring. r.w.landau

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Another version

You have the words in the right order. Another way I've heard it is "May you have fair winds and following seas" which I personally like better. LaDonna

T

thomas e mcnamara

SAILORS WISH

WE LIVE ABOARDD A 45 FT ON LI AND YOU BOTH GOT THAT RIGHT,BUT AS SOON AS I KNOW MORE OFF WE GO TO THE BAHAMAS. MCBUBBA720@AOL.COM

G

Glenn Bevensee

Keep it on the Surface

For those of us new to the sport, perhaps this is most appropriate. "Keep it on the surface".... As to whether I do or not, I'll keep you posted...

B

Brian Pickton

Another wish

Dec. 3,2000 Dear Dave, Coming from a hard water area myself I like R.W.'s response. "Fair winds" and "Fair winds and following seas" are the 2 most common wishes I've heard. Among the less reverent you may here a variation on this wish: " Keep the stick up, the rudder on and the water out!" Fair winds, Brian Pickton@BeneteauOwners.net, Aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

D

Dan Steill

Don't Drown

Well, being a novice as well, my wife says to me one of the following before I leave to go sailing.. 1. "Don't drown." 2. "Don't sink and loose the boat." 3. "Don't sink the van launching the boat." 4. "Don't get wet, then get sick and die." 5. "Is your heath insurance payment made?" 6. Finally, "Is your life insurance payment made?" I keep trying to tell her that sailing is not a "contact sport" but so far she doesn't beleave me just because once, just once, the boom hit me in the side of my head, but that is another story.....

B

Been there

The Three Rules of Sailing

This isn't a wish, but given the last response or two, some might enjoy The Three Rules of Sailing. (1) Keep the people in the boat. (2) Keep the water out of the boat. (3) Keep the boat off the ground.

A

Alex

Some other angle..

.. when we toast with wine , or often while on board sailing, "Ouzzo" with grapefruit juice ( we are not in Greece, but these custuomaries are spread along Eastern Mediteranean,incl here in Israel) , after all othere wishes, the last one is (in free translation..) " .. and shall we not drink sea water." I understand it'a an old sailors wish in this region , still always true..

G

Gene Foraker

3 Rules of Sailing

The three rules I have always heard about are: 1. Keep the slimey side down 2. Don't hit anything hard. 3. Stay on the Damned Boat! Cheers, Gene

J

Joe C

My d'ruthers (slang in the south for I'd rather)

I've heard it said,"I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks." Joe C. in NC Hoping for an H260 by spring

J

Jim Schaff

Sailing in Germany

I took sailing classes at the AFRC in Lake Chiemsee in Germany. When class was over, after we broke open the wooden kegs of beer, our old German instructor toasted us with, "May you always have wind in your sails and a hand's breadth of water under your keel!" Jim Schaff s/v Morning Glory

C

cole

J schaff drunk again

Sounds to me like you are a drinker with a sailing problem. I remember a funny sailing story about you tring to anchor after several drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.