Sailing virtues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2004
- - San Diego
I am considering purchase of a Columbia 10,7 meter sloop built 1978. Can anyone give me some experiences of this model. How does it perform compared to earlier Columbias? Also I am surprised to see light through the upper section of the bow indicating rather thin construction. Is this reflected below the waterline and have their been structural problems? Thanks Paul Ayliffe.

Oct 21, 2004
- - San Diego
Sailing virtues & Vices.

I am considering purchase of a Columbia 10,7 meter sloop built 1978. Can anyone give me some experiences of this model. How does it perform compared to earlier Columbias? Also I am surprised to see light through the upper section of the bow indicating rather thin construction. Is this reflected below the waterline and have their been structural problems? Thanks Paul Ayliffe.

P

Paul Esterle

A Satisfied Owner

I have owned a 10.7 since 1997. they are built like tanks. My boat is probably the most photographed and written about 10.7 there is. You can read about projects I'bve done anoard in the current issue of BoatWorks magazine and Voyaging magazine. Also look for back issues of SAIL, Jan, Feb. Mar and Apr 2003 and Jan, Feb, Mar of 2004. Contact we off-list at pesterle@preferred.com for more information. aul Esterle Freelance Boating Writer www.captnpauley.com pages.preferred.com/~pesterle/

P

Paul Esterle

A Satisfied Owner

I have owned a 10.7 since 1997. they are built like tanks. My boat is probably the most photographed and written about 10.7 there is. You can read about projects I'bve done anoard in the current issue of BoatWorks magazine and Voyaging magazine. Also look for back issues of SAIL, Jan, Feb. Mar and Apr 2003 and Jan, Feb, Mar of 2004. Contact we off-list at pesterle@preferred.com for more information. aul Esterle Freelance Boating Writer www.captnpauley.com pages.preferred.com/~pesterle/

B

Bill Zajac

Transmission Problem on my 10.7

Hi Paul, I believe we talked a while back about something, can't remember, but my wife say memory is the second thing to go. My 10.7 is a 79 with the Yamaha Q20 something for power. The diesel runs great but the tranny hesitates when backing out of my slip and shifting into forward. Even when going straight, if I put her in neutral say to slow down an approach to docking, then deciding to spped up just a little, it takes about 5 or 10 seconds for forward to engage. You can hear it engage as the motor slows down a little. Very strange. I talked with some old Yanmar engine guys who suggested my "throw" on my shifter was not going far enough even though it clicked in. They might have been correct as I adjusted the throw on the shifter and actually got thing to go almost a full 90 degrees from the neutral position on the transmission. The tranny still hesitates to imediately engage in forward. Ever heard of this before? I changed the tranny oil and that did not do anything either. I am hoping someone has a cheap solution like put sawdust in it or something. Do you know if I can remove the transmission without pulling the boat out of the water and removing the engine? I just did a stuffing box job on it and we needed to put my son in a wheel barrel postion with me holding up his legs while he squeezed his arms into that little rear door thing behind the engine. Any info from you will be greatly appreciated. The 10.7 has been a great boat for us and we are hoping it can be around for a long time. regards, Bill Zajac 321-868-3426 email: bill@etsnet.com

B

Bill Zajac

Transmission Problem on my 10.7

Hi Paul, I believe we talked a while back about something, can't remember, but my wife say memory is the second thing to go. My 10.7 is a 79 with the Yamaha Q20 something for power. The diesel runs great but the tranny hesitates when backing out of my slip and shifting into forward. Even when going straight, if I put her in neutral say to slow down an approach to docking, then deciding to spped up just a little, it takes about 5 or 10 seconds for forward to engage. You can hear it engage as the motor slows down a little. Very strange. I talked with some old Yanmar engine guys who suggested my "throw" on my shifter was not going far enough even though it clicked in. They might have been correct as I adjusted the throw on the shifter and actually got thing to go almost a full 90 degrees from the neutral position on the transmission. The tranny still hesitates to imediately engage in forward. Ever heard of this before? I changed the tranny oil and that did not do anything either. I am hoping someone has a cheap solution like put sawdust in it or something. Do you know if I can remove the transmission without pulling the boat out of the water and removing the engine? I just did a stuffing box job on it and we needed to put my son in a wheel barrel postion with me holding up his legs while he squeezed his arms into that little rear door thing behind the engine. Any info from you will be greatly appreciated. The 10.7 has been a great boat for us and we are hoping it can be around for a long time. regards, Bill Zajac 321-868-3426 email: bill@etsnet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.