Sailing to the bahamas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie

I have a 26S which is water ballasted and daggerboard, and have been thinking about where to take it sailing. Has anyone taken a boat of this size down to Florida and out to the Bahamas? When I was down there a couple years ago at the Luhrs owner's tournament, Hunter was having a redevous in the Abacos. Some of the boats looked like they were only 26 footers but I am assuming they were fixed keel boats. Any thoughts on taking this model to the bahamas?

M

Mike

Oh Yes!!

Many years ago, two friends and I sailed a flotilla of three Rhoades Penguins From Key West Fla., to Freeport Grand Bahamas. (Thats about a 12 foot, open wooden boat.) It's always safer to sail in convoy if properly organised. Make sure travel documents are in hand as well as passports. If your taking pets, check with your Vet for required paperwork and any quarentine restrictions that will be imposed on arrival. Check weather closely and don't forget to compensate for the Gulf Stream drift. For us it still is a part of our lives that we treasure. With proper planning and preperation it can be a most enjoyable voyage. Don't worry about the boat, If all equipment is in good shape and you don't sail during hurricane season, you should be fine. P.S. We were offered sooooooo much money for the boats that we sold them and flew back. But that was in the sixties, and as you know things were different then. Mike

C

Curtiss Grant

Bahamas

I have read several articles on MAC 26 doing the Bahamas and it appears be fine if you plan and prepare sufficiently. I am attaching a link to a site about Florida and the Bahamas sailing which you will really enjoy. One of the stories is so funny. I am currently working on flying a spinnacker on the 26S but am not that pleased with the results. On a aft reach, I seem to still get better performance with a 150 ginney and a whisker pole with a LOT less work. Good Luck

C

Curtiss Grant

Great Bahamas Link

I am having a slow day and just ran onto a great link for "sailing the Bahamas" Good Luck

C

Chip Giles

We've done it twice

Jamie, We are the people who Curtiss referred you to. We have sailed there and back twice. We just arrived home last weekend. We did it in a 25. I would not hesitate to do it in a 26. Just make sure you know what you are doing. There is a lot of difference between coastal sailing and crossing the gulf stream. Chip Giles

Status
Not open for further replies.