sailing to Newport R.I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tom

My family and I are new to sailing.We plan on taking our first big cruise from Mystic to Newport this summer on our H340. Any advice from a seasoned sailor?

B

Bryce Grefe

mystic - newport

Watch the currents at Watch Hill and the torpedoe ranges between the Narrangansett shipping lanes

T

Tim

favorite spots

Newport is great, but on the weekends most of the piers have nightclubs on the ends that play live music; not great for sleeping. I like the Newport Harbor Hotel since they include use of the indoor pool and the sauna. Goat island is also great and quieter but they weren't taking reservations last year. Nearby, Conanicut Marina is really nice and has a water shuttle over to Newport; and up the bay is Wickford, a nice place for a quiet evening.

B

Bob Zolczer

Try Shelter Island, too

Shelter Island could be 1/2 a day away if the currents in Plum Gut cooperate. It has everything from City? life (Greenport & Preston's) to secluded anchorages (Coecles). That would be a neat 3 day weekend trip for you.

R

Russell

Our first sail was Mystic to Wickford

Sounds like a similar situation to what we faced last year on our first sail in our 376. We had very little wind so we motorsailed most of the way. The currents through the race can be very strong dependening on the tide so be prepared. If you are just taking a weekend trip then I agree about Newport and would suggest Dutch Harbor or Wickford. Assuming you are willing to motorsail (if the wind doesn't cooperate) you should be able to get to Newport in a day without problems. If you are coming to Wickford give me a call. Russell Allie Kat

M

Mark Johnson

Let's not forget Block Island

Block Island is only a few hours from Watch Hill. It's a great place to visit and explore. Lots of good restaurants and bars and shops downtown. From Block Island it's only a few more hours to Newport. Newport Harbor Marina is my favorite. It's convienent to town and not too noisy. Also Newport Yachting Center isn't too bad either, although it does get crouded on weekends. That part of Newport is nice because everything is within walking distance. Have Fun! Mark Johnson

T

Tim

Block Island is great...

but one thing to be aware of is that getting slips is tough in season; even the moorings fill up. I've always had to anchor.

P

Paul Akers

Block Island Hint..

Get there early for a mooring. In a sailboat, you say? OK, you may have to anchor when you get there, but keep a sharp lookout for an open mooring in the morning as boats are leaving. Then snatch one up before the power boat crowd arrives between 10:00 - 11:00. In Newport you can get moorings from Old Port Marine (CH. 68). If they are full, call the harbormaster and ask him for a city mooring. He will direct you. They are on the east side of Goat Island, near the condos and are extremely quiet. They also afford a great view of the boats passing thru the harbor. If you must anchor, you'll be in a crowd. The anchorage is in the Southeast corner of the harbor and the holding is marginal, at best.

R

Russell

What ancor do you carry Paul

I have heard the holding ground at Block is poor, what type of ancor do you use. We want to upgrade, and get a better nights sleep. Russell P.S. are you in the water yet, this weather may push us back to April 20+

P

Paul Akers

Russel - Bruce 33

I have a Bruce 33 that has been great in all conditions. I had upgraded from a danforth which I now use as a second. The safest place to anchor in Great Salt Pond is along the Southwest shore if you can find space along the point that sticks out. Otherwise go to the Northwest shore, but be careful because it shoal up rather quickly in there. Be sure to allow for the low tide. I saw two boats rafted together in there last year (at anchor) and sitting on their keels at low tide.

C

Charles Weiss

fishing nets/buoys

Often hard to see are what I think are fishing nets supported by buoys. Generally they are just east of Newport very near the entrance to the harbor. They extend far from shore. It's quite a fright coming upon them (since the nets are huge and on a hazy day they really are tough to see). I've had visions of becoming fouled in rough seas. Charles Weiss Persistence C30

Status
Not open for further replies.