Sailing the Great South Bay, Long Island NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Fluss

Hello all... I was planning on spending some time in the Great South Bay this summer... but... I have a 5ft keel on my H280 and was wondering if sailing is limited in the area due to shoaling. I see there is lots of water some places but I am seeking some advice and experiences from locals. Any fun places to visit besides Sailor's Haven? Thanks, Ed Fluss BASHERT,H280

R

Robert Fischer

Great South Bay

A 5 foot draft is fairly risky in the bay. I've been on this bay for 20 years, everybody hits bottom at some time. I have a 4 foot draft and scrape the bottom entering some harbors if it's not high tide. Watch hill is a great place to go, it's at the east end of the bay across from Patchogue 20 dollars a night for a slip (don't use E dock, because of your 5 ft draft). The Connetquot River is a great anchorage, Don't go too far north up the river and stay east of the center on your way in. There are a couple of good restaurants on the river, and a few good ones on the Patchogue River as well. Ocean Beach is a nice town, with stores and restaurants. Watch the charts carefully, what looks like open water can be very shallow. Good luck

J

John Giaccio

Plenty Of Good Sailing In Bay!

My wife and I just stayed overnight at Watch Hill Park. Nice place, very simple. It was $1.00 per foot per night, plus $5.25 for electric, plus $3.75 for the 50amp adapter. Bring the bug spray! Happy Sailing! John Giaccio VooDoo Lady H-27

Status
Not open for further replies.