Sailing the Florida Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Koco

I will be sailing Key West in April and would welocme any advice or noteworthy points of interest. We intend to sleep onboard sailing out of Islamorada, snorkeling, fishing, cruising...the hard life! We are particularly interested in anchorages, the bugs, safety and gear. Of course, any advice or input will do just fine. We're use to shallow water sailing on our home waters and hope that will be of some value. Thank you in advance; between these snow and rain events and 40 degree temp swings, I'm ready for some 'boat drinks' and spectacular sunsets!

B

bill walton

great time of year.

This is a great time of year to sail the Keys. Anchorages Last week we stayed at a couple of neat spots. Here are the coordinates: Spanish galleon San Pedro archeological reserve: 4 moorings maintained by the state. the old cannons, anchor and ballast stones marked be a plaque on the bottom in 12-15 feet. 24 51.8 N 80 40.8 W *************** Matecumbe Bight 24 52.1 N 80 43.2 W *************** Turtle Harbor at Carysfort Reef deep water, 25-30ft, between two reefs. There is a south to north current of about 0.5 knots and the water is not real clear due to the current I guess but it was nice and smooth all night. 25 14.1 N 80 15.1 W ************************************** Rodriguez Key Bahia Honda Key between the two bridges. Bugs: not many right now

P

Paul Mieszczenski

90 miles to Key West

Tom, It's about 90 road miles from Islamorada to Key West and at least 120 by boat with following channels and side excursions included. That's 6 long days of sailing to do the round trip. If you have the time it's a great cruise and I am considering it myself for this summer. Try to find a copy of Cruising Guide to the Florida Keys by Capt. Frank Papy. I've been using this book for over 20 years and it hasn't let me down yet. We have had a dry winter down here and right now there is no bug problem, at least in the upper keys. Anchored out Friday and Saturday last week and didn't use the screens; a truely rare event. Enjoy the trip. PM

E

Eric Lorgus

To have and have not , six foot draft

Tom, My Hunter 54 has a 6' draft, which eliminates a lot of areas that would otherwise appear navigable, such as Islamorada. The cruising guide referred to in the earlier post is helpful in that it shows different routes for boats with less than six and six+ foot draft. I'd recommend a chart book as well -- the Capt Papy guide is vague on marinas and repair yards. Good sailing. Eric Lorgus s/v Impulse 83H54

R

R.W.Landau

Draft, draft, draft

Tom, I did this trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Marathon last April. It was tough going south ( Wind was almost always from the southwest). Beware of the humps. Any of the inlets from Hawk Channel to an inlet where the tide moves, has a hump. That is the spot that just decides to be the most shallow spot on the way in or out. On our way into Snake creek, about an hour past low tide, we found the bottom for a brief period of time with 4'-6" draft. We spent the night behind cotton key. The charts said 5', and that is what it was! The whole way into cotton key and at anchor the depth was 5'. Snorkling showed 6" from hull to bottom. That stay did produce a wonderful stone crab claw. Speaking of crab, If you like crab, try to catch a crabber emptying his traps. You can get some good crab for a reasonable price. Make sure to drag a line. We ate some good fish that week. Marathon had a nice little open air bar in the lagoon. Shopping is close and taxis are available if you need to restock the food or alcohol of the drinking varity. Have fun get some sun and bring it back with you. A cruising guide is a must if you are going to visit any harbors. r.w.landau

J

Jim Ewing

Heads up

Just as a caution. Most of the Florida Keys is one some special marine zone or another and is heavily patrolled. Fines are assessed for everything from running aground on the reef to taking undersize fish. A friend is staying at Marathon and has been stopped at least once a week to check his catch. Don't even *look* at a lobster in April. Othwise have fun. As previously posted April is a great time in the Keys, second only to November. Jim "Prospect"

A

Al Budding

Don't miss

the Hawk's key resort. Slip rates are reasonable and you get to use the whole facility. We also enjoyed the spots that Bill mentioned except I was too chicken to spend the night between the bridges at Bahia Honda. April is a wonderful month in the Keys. Have fun, A.B.

T

TOM MANALILI

KEY WEST IS LIKE TIUANNA FOR TOURIST

IF YOU ;IKE LIVING ON THE HOOK, TRY BOOT KEY, AT THE WESTERN TIP OF MARITHON, MARITHON, HAS MORE FRIENDLY NITE TIME ACTION, WHERE AS KEY WEST HAS DUMPS FOR THE TOURIST TRADE.

M

Mike Casucci

Key West

Was down there in January. If you are inside the reef there are great anchorages at Bahia Honda Key between the bridges and at Boot Key on the way down. Watch your approach to Boot Key as it shallows pretty quick all around the entrance. Bahia Honda has a shoal also. As you're heading down to Key West inside the reef, watch your depth meter and the lobster pots. Hope you have better weather. We had several really cold and windy (really!) days. Made it from Bahia Honda to the dock in Key west in six hours just on the jib!

J

Joe McGinnis

Stop Here!

Places to go in the Keys. Do you have a month? Great fish store on Conch Key (just before Duck Key). You may have to use your dinghy to get to it at low tide. Plan to spend some time in Key West. That is a crazy town. Catach the Sunset celebration. Great cigar factory/stores, and my wife loved the jewery stores. Shoal draft boats or swing keel boats will get you in just about anywhere. Watch out for bridge areas during low tide. The current running out to the ocean near those areas is pretty strong. We purchased the cruising guide for the area printed by Embassy Guides entitled, "Diving-Fishing-Boating in the Florida Keys." Available from West Marine and others. Fantastic info, charts, where-to-go, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.