Sailing the BVIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug T.

The last five days were the very best vacation I've ever had! Eleven of us chartered two 40' boats and cruised around Tortola, Jost Van Dyke and a bunch of the smaller islands. Winds were steady at 15-25 kts. 6-8' rollers left over from Michelle made sailing the north side a blast! Snorkling was awesome (esp. The Indians -- highly recommended). Great mooring places and anchorages and marinas. (Though some of the services are a bit pricey -- at $2 per bag to drop off trash, it pays to bring along some LARGE garbage bags!) I had to come home early... they're still out there. Last I saw, they went sailing off in a strong east wind to check out Virgin Gorda for a couple of days. Damn.

F

Frank / MD / H260

Sailing the BVI's

I pulled my boat out last weekend, and I'm so jealous. Your vacation sounds wonderful. How did you get a group together? I would love to do something like that with a group of sailors. I'm in Calvert County, MD. My email is frank.sears@ccnppi.com. I'd love to know more. Frank

T

Tom

Looking forward to sailing in the BVIs

We will be spending 10 days the end of February sailing in the BVIs with a group from our yacht club on a 50'boat. Have never sailed the BVIs so would like to hear more about your trip, places you particularly enjoyed and any other tips you might have for first-timers.

J

Jerry Smith

Plan to Sail the BVI in the future...

I have read that the BVI is some of the best sailing grounds in the world. My wife, my 5yr old son and I plan to charter a 40 to 45 ft sailboat within the next year or so in the BVI. How difficult was it to navigate the coral reefs? Would also like to know more about this area. Thanks, Jerry Smith

L

Larry and Carol Schroeder

It was also OUR best vacation!

We went in mid-August. Two couples, one of which (us) had no prior sailing expeience---although we had just ordered a brand new 25' Sailboat. I have never had such a laid back vacation. Each of us only took a small duffle bag---you don't need a lot of clothes---included a couple of bathing suits, our own snorkel gear (minus the fins), 2 pair shorts, 1 pair long pants (in case we got burned), 1 long sleeved shirt and a few t-shirts. We bought more t-shirts along the way as souvenirs for ourselves. There are places to do a laundry, so don't overpack! We got a 35' Beneteau and had plenty of room and not too large for us to handle. We rented from The Moorings. Because it was off-season we paid for six days and got a 7th free. They are extremely responsive if you need help along the way. The boats have phones. You get a good briefing before you leave, so you know where you should and shouldn't go, along with a great book for cruising the BVI's. If you like to "go with the flow" and not worry about when and where you go each day, this is the vacation to choose. There are sure some fun places to visit---like the Willy T at the Bight---near the Indians. Foxy's at Great Harbor on Jost Van Dyke. Virgin Gorda and the Baths are great----as is the Bitter End. Then there's Soper's Hole, and------------------. There's just so much to see and it's so much fun. Guess I've gone on and on----but I think you get the picture. Don't be afraid to try it. We have friends who go each and every year. Unfortunately, we don't get as much vacation as they do so now that we have our new 320 we're looking forward to just taking off and cruising the Great Lakes for a month. But we sure do recommend the BVI's.

T

Todd Johson

THE BEST

The BVI's is the best. My first time time, I hired a "Captin" what for? Line of site? 1 to 2 foot seas? Rain for 20 min.s.? per day. 10 to 15 knows winds form the same dirction? Great Night s with NO CRIME? GREAT PEOPLE , who like boaters? The problem with the BVI's is that after going there, you will not what to go away else. I have been back four times. My wife well not let me go without her . Therefore, the last trip was one week with family and second week with the "CREW". Which was the second time I took the "CREW". The problem now is where to go? I can't find a better place. I'am think its down hill from here. DON'T GO. it is just to good. It not good to the best first, save it , till the end.

D

Dan

What a place to go!

What I remember most was the constant wind; the cannon fire at Billy Bones (You're not under attack, it means that the bar is open!); Having Strawberry tell me that she was going to be my next wife (I bought a Tshirt and left a Tshirt); being asked how many were coming for lobster dinner - so they could go out and catch them!; The Baths; Fort Burt Hotel; dinner at the Roti Palace in Roadtown; then there was Virgin Gorda; Cane Garden Bay; Trellis Bay; ... a week was not enough! I chartered through TMM, and they were great!

D

Doug T.

Pictures, etc.

I just got some of my pictures back. I'll post some soon, as well as respond to some of the questions that were asked.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

You poor sap!

What a tough life!! :) Sounds like a good time - hope you can get back out there soon. LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.