Sailing Solo

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Hello everyone, I just purchased a 1974 Catalina 22 last fall. Its been 35 years since I last sailed on my O'day 23 so I'm basically a newbie again. I did mostly solo sailing back then and have a few questions. The Catalina is different than my O'day in that my new boat uses a pig tail from the backstay to the end of the boom and the O'day had a topping lift. My procedure in raising the sails back then (as well as I can remember) was to head into the wind, put engine in neutral, release the main sheet, raise the mainsail and let it luff, then raise the Jib, get back into the cockpit and off I went. Question now is, since I can't disconnect the pigtail until the mainsail is up is it then ok to yank up the jib and hope the main doesn't fill and turn the boat and/or put too much stress on the backstay until I get back into the cockpit and disconnect the boom from the backstay? How do you guys with the same setup do it? Thanks to anyone who reads this or answers my questions. The blue hulled boat was what she looked like when I bought her. Tarkus is now White after many hours of sanding and painting.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on y0ur new Catalina 22!! Nice paint job, your new boat cleans up really well!!

It seems to me you are going to want to release the main sheet, pull the main sail up, secure the main halyard, release the pigtail, head into the wind, yank up the jib, secure the jib halyard then set the jib and main sheets for sailing.

The threads below discuss pigtail use and options to eliminate it with a topping lift like you had on your O'Day and/or a boom kicker, which you can purchase or make your own from blocks, line and jam or clam cleat or clutch. You could also install a jib roller furler to make setting ad dousing the jib faster but that will likely require a new jib sail with a sun cover.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Try raising the main with the pigtail disconnected. Shouldn't be that hard, especially if you have a winch to help..... try it at the dock. Just keep the sheet and traveler uncleated so the boom and main can luff.
You could also construct a simple crutch with a notched 2x4 that can be placed on the hatch cover to hold up the boom until the sail takes over.

Another thought: since you're used to it, why not rig a simple topping lift for the boom and get rid of the pigtail altogether. A 1/4 line that is fixed to the masthead fitting with a small block on the lower end that is 12 inches short. The control line attaches to an eye strap on one side of the boom end, runs up to the TL block and back down to a small cheek block opposite the eye strap... then leads forward near mid boom to a clam/vee cleat with a fairlead(to keep line captive).

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I find the pigtail useful/convenient only at the dock with the main down....I did have the unpleasant experience of raising the main with the pigtail attached AND the mainsheet not released :banghead:...so add a topping lift as recommended above. My current "topping lift" is the top of my bimini, works out quite well, whether deployed or stowed aft in the up position....fwiw

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We generally lash the tiller to the starboard side, then raise the jib on the port side, thereby starting out hove to. Then raise the main, either while still hove to, or close hauled on a port tack. In both cases the pigtail is to leeward, for less wind pressure on the main as it goes up.

Tarkus, you did some outstanding work on that boat. She's beautiful! I like your traveler controls, too. You're giving that New Design in the next slip a real run for his money! :thumbup:

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
I have found the pigtail quite effective, provided that you don’t forget to disconnect it immediately after raising the mainsail and securing the halyard, and before setting the sails. Something that is very easy to forget the first time out each Spring!
I had thought of replacing it with a topping lift, but after ten years of sailing using the pigtail, it has never become a high priority.
I do find my headsail furler to be extremely convenient and would not want to be without it, especially for solo sailing.
Don’t forget to release the vang as well as the mainsheet before raising the mainsail in order to raise it to its full height.
Welcome to the forum!

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
You guys are great. I'm humbled. Yeah, VANG lol. First time out I couldn't understand (scratching my butt) why my main wouldn't top out and the boom angled down to the cockpit. Downhaul and vang not released before raising the main:huh:. I'll try your systems and c how it goes. I like the topping lift thought but stepping the mast myself is getting harder with age.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I had a Spirit 23 with a pigtail and until I rigged a topping lift, I'd free up the mainsheet and vang then unhook the tail and let the boom sag then hoist up the main, bringing the boom up along with it.. Topping lift is pretty easy to rig when you can take the mast down easily..
She is a beauty!

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Probably not old hat and I will read it all. Thanks for info!

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
IMO, a pigtail can be dangerous when raising the mainsail. If there’s a fresh breeze, having the boom stuck in a close hauled position will prevent you from steering any direction except upwind. You will not have safe steering control. And if it's blowing 15 or 20 kts, you might not be strong enough to unclip it due to pressure.

pigtails are dangerous when used in lieu of a topping lift, in my not so humble opinion.. they are for use on,y when the mainsail is down and at the dock/anchor.

if you don’t have a topping lift, you can put the boom onto the lifeline while hoisting the main or reefing. But a topping lift gives you many more options hoisting and reefing than any other solution.

or a boom kicker or rigid Vang, but thats more bother than a topping lift for a trailer sailor when it’s time to raise the mast and rig.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
IMO, a pigtail can be dangerous when raising the mainsail.
I have a new perspective to think about. My Mariner uses a pigtail, and I could easily picture the problems with its use. I have been, therefore giving some thought to how to approach it. I've been thinking about making a boom kicker from old fiberglass tent poles or a rigid vang.

As far as how to use the pigtail, running halyards to the cockpit seem like a great solution. Haul up the main from the cockpit and reach back to release the pigtail. Make the halyard fast, then haul up the jib. In a C22 cockpit, you shouldn't have to move but three feet.

My new thought. A short s.s. tube attached to the backstay, like a gudgeon. Install a pintle on the end of the boom such that, as you hoist the main to the top of the mast, the boom pintle lifts out of the backstay gudgeon. I think the pintle would have to fold away into the boom, to clear the backstay while under sail.

-Will (Dragonfly)