Sailing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Knapp

Currently, my new26X is parked in my driveway awaiting a washdown before being put away. My wife and I just returned from Lake Tahoe where we spent a week on the boat. This was essentially our maiden voyage. My assessment of the boat, based on our trip, is that it is a fine motor cruiser but a lousy sailboat. I am hoping that somebody out there can give me some advice on how to sail this boat. I have sailed a Catalina 25, fixed keel, for ten years however I didn't expect this boat to have the performance of the Catalina but so far I can't get it to behave like a sailboat in anything other than light air (5-8 knots). I have a furler with a 150 genoa and a main. In light to moderate wind we seem to make some way sailing but when the wind picks up to from 10 to 15 knots or higher we get slower and slower and finally we are being blown sideways with with a full main and and a half furled genoa. I am not getting enough speed by the rudders to tack so I am constantly in irons. We got caught in huge wind with 2-3 foot chop in the middle of Tahoe a few days ago and we were totally useless as a sailboat. We finally dropped the sails and motored into Emerald Bay. The motor is up, the dagger board is down, but nevertheless we can't seem to get enough forward speed to tack. I have seen the video of this boat sailing and my reason for buying the boat was to sail! I am wondering if it is a tuning problem, sail trim problem, or a skipper problem. Can anybody help with some constructive suggestions?

B

Bob Cassel

Sorry you were a couple of days early

We will have several Macs, including 26X's on Tahoe next weekend and that would have been a great time to get some expert assistance on your boat. You may want to come up again for the Mac/Ven Tahoe Flotilla 2001, August 4 and 5 at Emerald Bay. Even if you just drive up, you may be able to pick a few brains and get some ideas. I'm thinking that maybe your mast rake is off AND that you were over canvassed. But that's just from your description, not my knowledge.

M

Mike

Too much sail?

Were you heeling excessively? From your description it is hard to understand exactly what was going on. It sounds like you were just sitting in the water pointing to wind? From my experience once your boat starts to heel excessively you are going to loose boat speed, because of the dynamics of the hull. Less sail often means more speed. I can't think this is actually your problem though with 10 years experience sailing a Catalina. But from you description of sailing fine in light air and then going slower and slower in faster air, it all points in that direction. Give us some more information.

B

Bob Fair

Sailing characteristics - high winds

Hi, I had a similar experience - went "into irons" and thought I had lost the centerboard! Until I found that by lowering the center board about 50% of the way, I altered the balance of the pressures between the sail pressure and "keel" resistance point - to aft. This gave me less weather helm, more speed and better upwind performance. The MAC is actually pretty good at sailing once you learn it characteristics. I was sailing in the Gulf islands of BC last week and the vessel (a proper sailing boat! - make unknown) behind me sailing on the same tack in about 12 knot winds did not gain at all. We were doing 5.0 to 5.7 knots. Some say that the MAC 26X points higher with weight forward. Some put water tanks up front - I just store spare anchors and tools up there to give me the same result. Hope this is helpful. Dont despair yet -I love my MAC the more time I spend with it.

T

Tom Broome

Lake Tahoe sailing problems

Mr. Knapp: I suggest you take your questions to www.sailnet.com The site is active with questions and answers about the MacGregor 26x. I think you will find helpful information. The participants range from those beginning to those who have had years of experience with the Mac. Try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.