sailing in shoal waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Heil

I'm considering the purchase of a used 26mac. The area I sail(southern coastal area i.e. shallow, 3-6 feet) and I am concerned about the swing keel. Can it be sailed without the board all the way down? How much extra work is it to sail in shoal waters(3-6feet deep). I know if you run aground you can crank up the keel, but I'm concerned about damage to the keel. I was told by a dealer(that din't sell mac's) that all swing keel boats are lake boats and cannot really be sailed in coastal waters. I'm sure he was biased as he does sell any swing keel boats. Any info. you could share on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

L

Lou Reis

Mac 26 is great in coastal waters

I have a Mac 26 D, and i sail it all over the Gulf Coast. It is a "Dagger Board" design and I have occassionally run aground. When i do, I lift the board, and continue on my way (back to deeper water). I used to have a Mac 22, with a swing keel, and when I ran aground I just "cranked it up" as you said. The Mac is forgiving in that way. As for high winds or heavy seas, just avoid them. After all it is a light boat, and not meant for "blue water". I have been caught in bad weather, but I made it ok. Just reef early, and be willing to get wet. Good luck with your boat.

D

D Berube

Ocean going?

You hear all kinds of things, but even Mac 25s, with swing keels have been taken to the Bahamas from the US! Swing keels can be great at sea, plus they have the advantage of safety in shallow waters! It kind of just depends on how much of an adventurer you are!

B

Brian Hart

salesman's b.s.

I sail in coastal waters all the time in my 2 22. I love the swing keel specifically because I sail in and around Mobile Bay. At times (especially around low tide) the waters get very shallow. Unless I'm expecting big waves and wind, I don't lock the keel down. Occasionally I drag it on the bottom, but it hasn't ever been hurt by it. I love my Mac so much, that I'm hoping to get a 26 in the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.