Sailing in California :-(

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Wow; That drought is really bad. I now understand that Capri 22 owner whose boat was on Folsum Lake.
No water -- no sailing :-(

Good luck California, and quit watering those lawns. Not only does that save water, but you will have to cut the lawn far less frequently.

Hershey

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
...yeah, when the fire season starts in January...it's bad.
However, some of the long-range computer models show a change coming...
We're keeping our fingers crossed!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
They close the dam up here on February 1st. Foggy and gray around here but no bloody precipitation. Even the mountain passes are pretty much clear. If something doesn't change soon we'll be headed to the San Juans again this summer. Don't get me wrong, I love it there, but I like to get more than 7-8 days of sailing out of the season too!

May 3, 2008
The latest long range forecast is not looking good for the west coast.
A couple weeks ago they were predicting a change in this pattern.
...but now they're talking about a dry spring too...argh!

Having said that, I did go sailing today!
The Ocean is full and rising.
Desalination!

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Hershey said:
Wow; That drought is really bad. I now understand that Capri 22 owner whose boat was on Folsum Lake.
No water -- no sailing :-(
Hershey
Hershey, you are correct, my Capri was on Folsom Lake. The lake is now more like a wide river about 60 feet below the marina. Here's a photo from the front page of yesterday's paper. I'm the second mast from the left near the main ramp. Technically, my slip is still "wet", or at least damp! ;)

Attachments

May 3, 2008
wow...pretty dramatic photo...another year like these last three and we're in real trouble!
Flying around California for work, I see most reservoirs look just like this.

Jul 3, 2013
One advantage to all this low water (hey, looking for the silver lining here) is that all the fisherman out there can gather up the aerial photos and have a great look at all the underwater structure they never get to see. And when (hopefully, not if) the various reservoirs all fill up again they will have some info on their favorite fishing hole - or maybe even find a new "favorite".

Here on the Lower Chesapeake Bay, we have plenty of water to sail in. Right now, it's the other environmental conditions that's keeping me off the water - it's only about 34 degrees out right now.

May 3, 2008
...brrrr...
...that's supposed to be icy blue!

Love your yacht's name...
Simple pleasures often bring the most joy in life!

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
And, if the lake gets a little lower (which it will), I may be able to find that sail stop that fell over the side last summer!

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
CapriWannaBe said:
And, if the lake gets a little lower (which it will), I may be able to find that sail stop that fell over the side last summer!
Or, possibly that Rolex :)

A club member was getting from his dink to his Catalina 27 & carrying a new lead battery, Slipped and went into the Hudson with the battery. Tried to swim with the battery :-( When he hit the bottom of the Hudson -- 15-20 feet he figured he was unable to swim with a lead battery.

So- somewhere in our mooring field is a nice battery :)

Hershey